Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Figuring out speaker properties + Building enclosure
Figuring out speaker properties + Building enclosure
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th July 2018, 10:38 AM   #11
ledman is offline ledman  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phivates View Post
A common problem with cheaper drivers...
I wish i knew how much these were and if they were actually cheap or if they are just kinda bad - certainly the company no longer exists lol.
I got them for 30 and they aren't broken so can't exactly complain

So i can use the Aleene 's Tacky glue i already ordered on the tinsel lead as well?

Where would i buy some mounting gaskets (europe)?
I mostly find the tape you glue down from the usual scumbags on ebay

I am going on vacation tomorrow and won't be back for 3 weeks, so will have to wait with everything anyways
Old 19th July 2018, 11:10 PM   #12
Galu is offline Galu  Scotland
diyAudio Member

The ebay price for one sub was EUR 130.

I wonder why the front surrounds are so squidgy? Anyone know? Your idea of making a solid ring to go on top sounds a good one.

Aleen's tacky glue won't do for the tinsel lead - you need something more substantial to build up into a cone and head the tinsel lead out in the required direction - like Granville Black (or Clear) Silicone Sealant from a car accessories store.

You could make rear gaskets from card - use several curved sections to cover the entire circumference. I've seen old drivers mounted in this way - better seal than just metal to wood.

Happy holidays!
Old 19th July 2018, 11:17 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Wait a minute!

Were those squidgy blue surrounds designed to be removed in order to mount the speaker, then put back on afterwards?
Old 19th July 2018, 11:24 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Yes, the surrounds were not in place in the first photograph you attached!
Old 21st July 2018, 05:12 PM   #15
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galu View Post
Aleen's tacky glue won't do for the tinsel lead -
Please elaborate as I've successfully used this on far more demanding repairs than what I perceive tinsel leads to endure, i.e. ones where I can't clamp/press parts together as well as the instructions imply: Aleene’s Glue Products | Craft & DIY Project Adhesives - Aleenes Super Gel Pen Adhesive

GM
Old 21st July 2018, 07:16 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

@GM

To elaborate:

I was referring to Aleene's Original Tacky Glue, while you are referring to Aleene's Super Gel Pen Adhesive.

The latter has a thicker consistency, so would be the better choice for the job.

Figuring out speaker properties + Building enclosureHide this!Advertise here!