Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Subwoofer Building Questions
Subwoofer Building Questions
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th July 2018, 05:16 AM   #11
hollowboy is offline hollowboy  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillHoog View Post
I would rather do this with hardware rather than software that's all.
Seems odd (for someone making music in software), but OK.

Quote:
It would output the same 1/4" connections anyway.
Look again at the back panel. A 1/4" connection is basically a tubby headphone jack. If you look up "XLR cable", you'll see that they are different.

Quote:
that other crossover that aslepekis linked just seems like it would be better with more options
To me, it appears to have fewer options. e.g. the crossover slopes are not adjustable, and it can't do notch filters.

Quote:
Also(again) you skipped the mixer
The only source you listed was PC. If a PC is (always) the source, you don't need a mixer.
Old 18th July 2018, 02:30 PM   #12
WillHoog is offline WillHoog  United States
diyAudio Member

Do the cuts of the bracing have to be exact for the rounded parts?
And I will put my port in the back so is it ok for it to be off center?
Old 18th July 2018, 03:58 PM   #13
LineSource is offline LineSource  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Do the cuts of the bracing have to be exact for the rounded parts?
And I will put my port in the back so is it ok for it to be off center?
Precision cuts on the bracing material are not critical, but you must leave enough wood thickness for good strength. The ports can be slightly off-center.

Two ports at the bottom-front of the woofer cabinet is probably the most common arrangement, since it helps even internal pressures which might side-side rock the cone suspension and damage the voice coils. The DSA315 are light weight musical woofers, not monster subwoofers with thick rubber surrounds.
===============

Start with a simple signal path to your new woofers before you decide to purchase mixer stuff.

From my personal experience, using multiple opamps to create complex crossovers with variable equalization and boost will significantly degrade the sound quality. Cheap opamps with cheap variable-resistors(twist knobs, and slide resistors) are very noisey. I would use a digital tool, either on a PC, or on a more expensive MiniDSP_HD type DSP engine.

GET MORE ADVICE from experts on music mix forums about digital vs. analog sound quality before you purchase.

Start with a simple signal path to your new woofers before you decide to purchase mixer stuff.
Old 18th July 2018, 04:41 PM   #14
Robh3606 is offline Robh3606  United States
diyAudio Member

Why are you not just getting the sub designed to work with them?? Save you a lot of time and heartache trying to make something work when it's already been done for you.

LSR310 S
10" Powered
Studio Subwoofer

Rob
Old 18th July 2018, 07:20 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

I came here because I want to build them and learn!!!!!! I have spent weeks learning and I am well aware that I can buy ones pre-built but these will be better and what I want!
Old 18th July 2018, 09:07 PM   #16
narkotic is offline narkotic  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LineSource View Post
Precision cuts on the bracing material are not critical, but you must leave enough wood thickness for good strength. The ports can be slightly off-center.

Two ports at the bottom-front of the woofer cabinet is probably the most common arrangement, since it helps even internal pressures which might side-side rock the cone suspension and damage the voice coils. The DSA315 are light weight musical woofers, not monster subwoofers with thick rubber surrounds.
===============

From my personal experience, using multiple opamps to create complex crossovers with variable equalization and boost will significantly degrade the sound quality. Cheap opamps with cheap variable-resistors(twist knobs, and slide resistors) are very noisey. I would use a digital tool, either on a PC, or on a more expensive MiniDSP_HD type DSP engine.

GET MORE ADVICE from experts on music mix forums about digital vs. analog sound quality before you purchase.

Hi Linesource - how can I contact you privately? I own Apogees and wanted to chat w/ you about your solid state direct-drive amps amongst other things I'm unable to send you a private message.
Old 18th July 2018, 09:48 PM   #17
LineSource is offline LineSource  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LineSource View Post
A Man with a Plan.
When you design and draw the plans for your dual DSA315-8 woofer cabinet, why not invest some time and design work into plans for a future matching midwoofer/waveguide top cabinet? The EconoWave threads have technical information and crossovers. Just cut the wood panels plus bracing for future glue-up and driver mounting.
-For any interested readers-
A sealed matching width cabinet ~1.2cuft total with ~1cuft net with drivers has -F3=110Hz
$13 B-52 PHRN-1014 1" Horn 10" x 14" Bolt-On waveguide
Model: PHRN-1014|Part # 299-2303
$34 Selenium 1" compression driver 2/3 Bolt . ( Proven Xover ckt available)
Selenium 8 Ohm Model: D220Ti-OMF-8 |Part # 299-2321
$130 Eminence Delta Pro 12A midrange 12"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DeltaPro12A B52 horn.jpg (82.2 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg 320_Bucks.jpg (158.6 KB, 126 views)
Old 18th July 2018, 10:16 PM   #18
snappyturtle is offline snappyturtle  United States
diyAudio Member

can you post your xover for that top? curious if it looks similar to the econowave stuff
Old 18th July 2018, 11:07 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

I already have a mixer which I linked in the first page. You can see the connections it has.
When I plug it into my PC with the USB there is almost no white noise.

How will I incorporate this into the setup. I payed $90 for it and I'm not going to put it aside!

I got it instead of an amp because I couldn't find any amps that had the right connections to the JBLs.
Old 19th July 2018, 02:37 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

I spent the last few hours designing and calculating the box with all the bracing, here is what I came up with.

31.PNG

32.PNG

Subwoofer Building QuestionsHide this!Advertise here!