which kind of wood for tapped horn?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello! in southern Italy finding a good wood is difficult ..
for my tapped horn I found:
poplar upstream 20mm (450 kg / m³)
phenolic conifer 18mm (480 kg / m³)
the latter seems to me better as hardness, moreover the 2mm in pio of the poplar lead me to redesign the cabinet ..
what do you think?

Witch one can handle the sound pressure of the driver? I would go with the 20mm
The last tuba i built I used 1” wood and it was a beast at over 300lbs without the driver. But it never flexed and that’s what you need to keep the box from doing
on the inside you can use smaller wood for bracing and on any 90 angles you need to put a small cut of wood with a 45d on each end to make like a ramp for the sound to move around the sharp turns

GM

Joined 2003
You want the speaker to resonate at least an octave above its highest desired frequency reproduction, so down low it needs to be very rigid, i.e. the higher the material's MOE the better and why ~3/4" [18-19 mm] BB, apple, marine no void grade plywood panels with a > 1.8 mil psi MOE is the norm. That, or make it so massive it can only resonate below the speaker's pass band, so not practical in most non built-in systems.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.