Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Dipole Bass Recomendations
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th July 2018, 02:59 AM   #11
outfoxhyperion is online now outfoxhyperion
diyAudio Member

Just to confirm we're all thinking the same thing when we say "W-Frame," I'm hoping to configure the woofers in a very similar manner to the W style seen in versions of Seigfried Linkwitz' Orion speakers.
Old 4th July 2018, 02:32 PM   #12
bentoronto is offline bentoronto  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outfoxhyperion View Post
...the required volume to get the kind of performance I was looking for was enormous (like 28 ft3 per driver)...
Odd, the rest of us seem to do fine with less than 6 cu feet. You aren't demanding profound bass and bit of boost where the sealed box perks up a bit south of 50 Hz would sound just right.

Or you could run a sealed box sim and get a screwy result that seems to generally be around 2 cu feet, plus lots of EQ.

With a crossover below maybe 140 Hz, and going with DSP as you plan, you need only one good sub to qualify for great sound quality.

B.

Last edited by bentoronto; 4th July 2018 at 02:38 PM.
Old 5th July 2018, 12:23 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

It's very possible that the sims I was using weren't giving me great data, I was just using online calculators as I don't own any software. I'm likely to end up trying it both ways, but I'm going to start with the W-frame due to the semi-dipolar response as I said above. If I'm not a fan of how that sounds, I'll likely build a sealed box. In that case, it'll be two drivers per side, so that should be somewhere around ~12 cuft, if I take the numbers you suggest?
Old 8th July 2018, 05:51 AM   #14
Calvin is offline Calvin  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi,

since size is an issue, I'd think of an Ripole-style dipole.
It's by far the smallest and reduces the driver's fs maximal.
There are quite a lot of 15" Pro drivers around with fs between 35-40Hz, medium Qts and long stroke capability.
These drivers are built to take some abuse and don't cost too much.
With a set of TSPs as above, fs could drop to 25-20Hz without requiring too much equalization/amp power.
The Beyma 15LX60 could be an example for this kind of driver.
Keep in mind though that with the small folded dipoles the upper bandwidth is limited.
I'd say not much more than 100-150Hz for a 15" design.

jauu
Calvin
Old 9th July 2018, 03:25 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Hi Calvin,
Thanks for the advice. One of the parameters for this project though was to use these 10" buyout woofers, but I might try one of those 15" Ripoles in the future...

As an update on the project, I've built and tested one of the W-frame enclosures, and it did pretty well down to 30 Hz with a little bit of extension below that. No measurement tools available as of now, so all this is based just on what I heard. It wasn't loud, but then again I was running it full range just on the left channel of an A/V receiver, ran out of amp volume control but didn't have any clipping or gain control so I think that's just an issue of low levels. Sounded like there was a little bit of resonance around 200ish Hz, but I plan on crossing lower than that anyway. So far, so good.

Dipole Bass RecomendationsHide this!Advertise here!