Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Graham Holliman Velocity Coupled Infra Bass Speaker?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th July 2013, 01:52 AM   #411
just a guy is offline just a guy  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentoronto View Post
Folded corner horns have terrible shortcomings and wonderful strengths...
You could say that of all alignments but I contend that you can't judge these strengths and shortcomings until and unless you simulate and/or measure an example (or several examples) of any given alignment and then listen to them to correlate the measurable artifacts (like group delay, imperfect phase, etc) to audible traits and determine how good or bad these characteristics are.

In this case though, the presence of 60 m/s throat velocity is a huge red flag for me. Since the design doesn't sim better than a normal ported box and I see no proof whatsoever that even the largest model comes anywhere close to living up to the marketing hype, I don't feel too bad judging it prematurely.

On the other hand, I've got a tapped horn and a flh both made with the same driver. I've simulated, measured and listened to both of them. The tapped horn sounds much better than the flh despite having more group delay and less perfect phase response. But since they are made with different materials (mdf vs plywood), they were designed with different methodologies (the tapped horn is a scaled down Danley clone while the flh was designed for smoothest possible response) and they have different tuning, I can't make any sweeping generalizations about either alignment. All I can say for sure is that both of them sound better than the same driver in a ported or sealed box. But if I had several of the same driver in sealed boxes and plenty of power maybe I'd prefer sealed.

Quote:
BTW, you seem to be using the words "alignments" to mean driver mountings and "resonances" to include all tonal variations which are your own unique meanings.
I'm using the word alignment to describe different ways of loading a driver. OB, IB, sealed, ported, tl, bandpass, flh, blh, tapped horn, etc are examples of different alignments. My use of the word has nothing at all to do with resonances or tonal variations.

If you don't want to hijack the thread start a new one, as I recommended a long time ago. We could discuss this at length but this is a conversation about the Holliman box. You haven't made a single comment yet specifically about the topic at hand. You've brought up the evils of resonance, phase and elegant alignments, tympanic membranes, the treachery of trusting simulations, coloration and one note bass, but all as general concepts. Not a word about the Holliman box in particular, or the info presented about this box.

BTW, electrostatic is not a way to mount a driver, it's a different type of driver that uses different technology and different parts than a moving coil driver.

Last edited by just a guy; 28th July 2013 at 01:55 AM.
Old 28th July 2013, 02:29 AM   #412
just a guy is offline just a guy  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just a guy View Post
My use of the word has nothing at all to do with resonances or tonal variations.
Can't edit anymore, but this should read:
My use of the word resonances has nothing at all to do with tonal variations. Resonances are simply the effect of spikes in the impedance curve.
Old 29th July 2013, 02:49 AM   #413
Zero D is offline Zero D  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

@ Moray James

I havn't looked @ the plans/data etc that myself & Dr.B made for years. I'll see if i can dig them out from "somewhere" & so as not to highjack this thread i would start a new one.
Old 15th July 2017, 09:15 AM   #414
darkmatter is offline darkmatter  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default JBL 2245 bass drivers doing nothing??

Researching this topic, I found this thread

Has anyone here built one or a pair of these devices?
Old 15th July 2017, 09:19 AM   #415
diyAudio Member

Default Infra bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero D View Post
@ just a guy

I have no plans @ the mo to build one, though i've often played with the idea of doing so on n off since i 1st discovered it. This latest kick to the thread might just inspire me to do so !

Once again, i Appreciate ALL you're doing on this

@ bentoronto

I wasn't suggesting that the whole box be made out of metal ONLY a small area just a bit larger than Panel B's hole.

I have a feeling that, even though this could be compared to a "standard" Reflex in some ways, it's more than that due to the pressure chamber. And consequently "may" sound different.

In the late 80's i designed a box that incorporated a hybrid type of TL loading that went down to 15Hz. I approached Arthur Bailey, yes THE Dr. Bailey who was @ Bradford University @ the time, & asked if he "might" be interested in testing etc it. To cut a long story short, i was invited over to BU for an afternoon & he ran various tests on it in their anechoic chamber etc. He was extremely impressed with how linear it responded, amongst other things. Anyway i didn't have the funds to persue it @ the time, so it went no further. But i used it @ home as a sub for years, & it produced the nicest & cleanest lowest bass i've ever heard, unlike anything else then or since. Everybody who heard it, including non techie types, but who where into various types of modern music, ALL commented without persuasion, on how good every record sounded. It had a Very special effortless grand expansive non fatiguing sound. So on that basis GH's design "might" sound special also ?
Hi Zero D

What driver did you use?
Old 15th July 2017, 01:41 PM   #416
diyAudio Member

@ darkmatter

Where have you been hiding ?

Quote:
What driver did you use?
It was a Richard Allan HP8B.
Old 15th July 2017, 02:02 PM   #417
diyAudio Member

Quote:
@ darkmatter

Where have you been hiding ?

It was a Richard Allan HP8B.
Been very busy with other stuff and with my Astronomy!!

How did it perform?

I have four JBL 18" Bass units

So many ideas, what to do with them and what to build!!

I am thinking of building a pair of really big TLs or a pair of Graham Holliman Velocity Coupled Infra Bass units with one set of the JBLs

The other set bass drivers will be used in conventional 450 litre cabinets, tuned low.

I am after serious bass and don't like small EQ'ed boxes

DM

Last edited by darkmatter; 15th July 2017 at 02:07 PM.
Old 15th July 2017, 02:12 PM   #418
bentoronto is offline bentoronto  Canada
diyAudio Member

Can somebody provide a summary, coherent rationale, or otherwise help with an introduction to this speaker, please.

I found one write-up on the web from an engineer from South Africa long ago that has no small amount of audio-babble and special pleadings that would give anybody but "true believers" serious doubts.

The concept seems to have sunk without leaving a trace on the web (except here, bless us).

B.
Old 15th July 2017, 02:20 PM   #419
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkmatter

How did it perform?
As i mentioned earlier, & in your Post #415

I hope you get to build it, & soon if you're not too busy Let us know how it's proceeding etc etc, with pics All the best with it
Old 15th July 2017, 02:46 PM   #420
diyAudio Member

Thumbs up What to build next

Quote:
As i mentioned earlier, & in your Post #415

I hope you get to build it, & soon if you're not too busy Let us know how it's proceeding etc etc, with pics All the best with it
Thanks for that, still not sure what to build next, but I want to learn more about the mathematics behind the Holliman speaker first.

I meant to ask you about the TL, not how it performed, but about the cabinet, as I wanted to up-size it to suit my 18" JBL!! It doesn't matter if it ends up huge, it is how it sounds that counts, and will be more than happy if I get a real nice 12Hz or so!!

ATB

DM

Graham Holliman Velocity Coupled Infra Bass Speaker?Hide this!Advertise here!