Graham Holliman Velocity Coupled Infra Bass Speaker?

Which model? Define 'big' as to me anything < 30 ft^3 is acceptable. Any height, etc., dimension limitations? Plain ol' TL or.......? Desired XO point?

GM

Big for me is >1m3

Stereo subs a must.

The driver model is the JBL 2245H 30 cu ft would take 2 of my drivers, with 2 cabinets per side x over point would be 50 Hz maybe a little lower.

TL is a possibility, likely I would just use one of the bass drivers per side?

I did even consider an Isobarik config in a low Q=0.5 sealed box

Hi all!

I plan on doing my master's dissertation about the Graham-Holliman subwoofer! After all those years it's difficult to get a proper idea of the performances of the speaker. Can anyone here post information he/she has about this type of speaker:

Suggestions for built
Summary
Drawings
Frequency responses

Thank you so much in advance!!

Igor

Last edited:
I can't be of any help other than linking the patent application

https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/7d/43/05/8700aabd258b78/GB2037534A.pdf

xNUlUxn.jpg

I can't be of any help other than linking the patent application

https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/7d/43/05/8700aabd258b78/GB2037534A.pdf

xNUlUxn.jpg

Hmm... I'm trying to figure out if that design at the bottom left can be modeled using Hornresp. Using segments S1-S2 could represent the volume V. S2-S4 could represent the path from the back of the driver to the front, Vtc and Ltc used to represent the small volume in front of the driver....

Maybe I'll have a look at it later....

I finished drawing the enclosure in a CAD program. I will start building the cabinet in the coming weeks (as I am waiting for plywood sheets to arrive).

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Next up is the drive-unit.
What T/S parameters of the drive unit are important when looking for a suitable drive-unit for this particular type of enclosure?

(I am building the 10" version)
in this thread I've seen the following drivers being used:
-Richard Allan 10"
-Peerless XLS 10"

Any tips for choosing the drive-unit would be more than welcome!

Once my built is done I will bundle all information available in this thread, do measurements, compare them to the existing data and make an academic report of it!

Hmm... I'm trying to figure out if that design at the bottom left can be modeled using Hornresp. Using segments S1-S2 could represent the volume V. S2-S4 could represent the path from the back of the driver to the front, Vtc and Ltc used to represent the small volume in front of the driver....

Maybe I'll have a look at it later....

Whatchu think?

Attachments

• JBL 2245H 18 GHVCIBS.jpg
    JBL 2245H 18 GHVCIBS.jpg
    686 KB · Views: 236
Reactions: 1 users
Audio frequency - Wikipedia

Interesting site, click on sound the file for 24cps, these are low piano notes, but the 16 or 8 cps no click available you need a large pipes, religious buildings to house. Bringing the people inside to their knees. This was done with air blowing across pipes before woofers were thought of.

A little box with a paper cone 10 inch driver? 18 years since the 1st post+Home Depot full of lumber+ plans =no one did it yet?

If I had to build a 7 or 8 cps 140 dB horn I would rig four of these size woofers (forget about bass reflex) to a 10 mile long exponential horn.

Attachments

• big woofer.jpg
    big woofer.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
What are the most important parameters when looking at a suitable driver for this cabinet design?

- Low or high excursion xmax?
- Stiff cone, so low Cms?
- Low resonant frequency fs

What is the most important parameter, is xmax more important than fs?

I'm thinking about buying this driver (max budget $150), do you think it is a good choice?

Dayton Audio RSS265HF-4 10" Reference HF Subwoofer 4 Ohm

Igor

My caregiver won't let me buy Wood for a speaker box. So here's my cardboard and gorilla tape infinite baffle... With a pillow just touching the bottom of the baffle it actually has a little bit of bass. These are Bose acoustiMass 10 replacement woofers. They are six inch drivers in the picture.

Attachments

• IMG20230710180343.jpg
    IMG20230710180343.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
My caregiver won't let me buy Wood for a speaker box. So here's my cardboard and gorilla tape infinite baffle... With a pillow just touching the bottom of the baffle it actually has a little bit of bass. These are Bose acoustiMass 10 replacement woofers. They are six inch drivers in the picture.
Edit:;; if you turn it up there's a bit of bass!!! I need a LOT of bass at low levels. It ALMOST seems like it could have more bass but I don't want to sacrifice sound quality at it has that... But...my housemates don't want to hear my stereo out in the living room...