what's the proper hornresp input for this type W-bin?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
- where the full cone area is facing a back panel splitter? I'm guessing the distance from the speaker baffle to the tip of the splitter to be 84mm and about the same for the top/bottom gap when the horn makes a turn.

Lnvxx8t.jpg

uBN33JP.jpg

Here's the way I'd probably approach it, though I would seek to optimize the design a little - the expansion at the back of the horn looks a bit wonky, and the reflectors in the corners likely pinch the horn a bit at that point. The pinch right at the throat of the horn can be replaced with solid cross-braces that are positioned to provide the required expansion there - I've seen that done with other W-bin designs, including the two that are still in use in my cousin's nightclub and it works fine and adds bracing where the horn needs it the most.

In fact, thinking about it a little, you might just be able to lower the resonant frequency of the horn a little by extending the depth of the horn a little and chambering the back section Cyclops-style.

I might put together a design spreadsheet for this if there's enough interest.

Attachments

• 20180528-wbin.jpg
    20180528-wbin.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 392
Ok I've just checked the EV model I did and it seems I just worked out the horn length, mouth size and used the SD as throat area. I drew the box up in CAD so the figures should be near enough. The rear chamber was just over 19 litres and I allowed 3 litres for the driver.

Sorry it's not more accurate I was only trying to find out if it was worth building a pair as I have the drivers for them. (I thought they might go lower than my Edgar style 80hz horns)

Rob.

Attachments

• ev.jpg
    ev.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 382
hey Rob - 14 liters would be too small for the stock back chamber - were you trying to flatten the passband and push system resonance upwards with a small chamber ? - oh - maybe it is that small - I'll have to look at the plan much closer

my FH1 rolls off at ~12dB/octave outdoors right below 110Hz. In a small room, it gets some re-enforcement. I still think my K12 is as much fun and snapper but of course its only around 100dB sensitive

Last edited:
that's a large enough chamber to vent (if one could fit the vents on the little flat spot - ha) I used to hear that system in the early 70's at the local college coffee house - might have had two 8HD horns. I think there wasn't much "bass", partly as the cabinet(s?) were at the front of the small stage. Maybe a weird directivity thing between the Eliminator and tiny 8HD horns. With a helper subwoofer the old Eliminator might make a decent midbass horn.

There seemed to be a flurry of W-bins in those days -
Acoustic Control's 301 popular with bass players, D.B. Keele Jr. 18" vented W-bin for JBL. I had a 16 cubic foot Peavey bass cabinet with CV woofer in a local club for bass guitar. I think I even remember a toy sized Kalamazoo W-bin. Of course, some purists might say there's no such thing as a good (artifact-free) folded horn.

here's a Cleanhead Vinson Cannonball Adderley album from the early 60's

YouTube

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.