Tapped Horn - From Parts On Hand

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have been reading a lot of the threads on tapped horns and I would like to try to build one. I found a design by Don Snyder that looked like it may meet my needs.

One change I would like to make to the design is to move the opening from the side (c in the first drawing) to the bottom (f in the second drawing). I don't believe that this should be a problem.

I would also like to use one of the Shiva 12" drivers that I have on hand. I took the Hornresp parameters supplied by Don and hopefully updated the information for the Shiva driver correctly.

I am primarily looking for bass extension to the low 30Hz range. I believe that this design gives me 30Hz - 80Hz ±3dB.

I would appreciate any comments or suggestions. I would especially like to hear if I have missed something.

Cheers, Bryce.

Attachments

• Beyma Tapped Horn Plan.gif
    Beyma Tapped Horn Plan.gif
    13.7 KB · Views: 210
  • Beyma Tapped Horn Plan - End Vent.gif
    Beyma Tapped Horn Plan - End Vent.gif
    6.7 KB · Views: 202
  • Shiva Tapped Horn - Hornresp.gif
    Shiva Tapped Horn - Hornresp.gif
    28.1 KB · Views: 212
  • Shiva TS Parameters.gif
    Shiva TS Parameters.gif
    29.3 KB · Views: 209
Moving the mouth should be okay - doesn't look like the path lengths change much at all, so you're likely to get away with it.

Might be worth double-checking what happens if you enable Lossy Le on Hornresp - drivers with lots of Xmax and high inductance are often more accurately simulated with Lossy Le (or semi-inductance, if you've got the additional data) in place.

Chris

would changing the drivers axis of operation have a long term consequence, i've heard people complain about horizontally mounted drivers with respect to cone sag with gravity over time.

Resources - Woofer Mount Up Down

in my personal experience up/down firing usually affected excursion at high power. ie it seemed the driver would bottom a little easier.

Another 12" Driver

That response curve suggests that particular driver does not really want to be mounted in a TH.

Hi Brian,

I have seen the first 12" driver used and the results are reported to be good. Is this speaker also not the best choice for a TH? The graph looks very similar to the Shiva graph to me, but I am not sure what difference I am looking for.

The second image is the Beyma 12LX60. Am I correct that this driver is a better fit for a TH?

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• Lab 12.gif
    Lab 12.gif
    17.5 KB · Views: 142
  • Beyma 12LX60.gif
    Beyma 12LX60.gif
    18 KB · Views: 72
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.