Bessel vs Critically Damped Enclosure

This is why we shouldn't use imprecise terms like 'muddy' and 'slow'. Underdamped is probably the correct work, but I am not sure.

As we go below 80Hz, sound gets less localizable, this is not what I am talking about, and both a 'fast' sub and a 'muddy' sub are equally less localizable at the same frequencies.

Try a very steep LPF at 80hz on music into a cheap, small sub and compare it to the same music and slope on a well made expensive one. On a well made sub, a large drum sounds like a drum (even without the overtones). On a cheap small sub, at best it sounds like a thump.

The small cheap sub will probably have more audible harmonics above 80hz from THD and Fletcher-Munson then the stuff below
80hz. Not a fair comparison.

Wavecor specifically says their measurements are before break in. Why they would do this is beyond me, but it is a safe assumption Q will drop, along with Fs and VAS will go up.

Historically [at least here in USA before moving the industry ~offshore], quality assurance [QA] programs for these types of products measured its efficiency at some point on a curve that apparently resulted in a ~ -10%, +0% based on numerous Fs measurements of all sizes/types of point source drivers, so no need for break-in for the reason you assume. ;)

Other than the late Avatar/Adire Audio, no clue how [QA] was/is done in recent decades.

GM

Linkwitz transform, perfect for prototyping this, completely ignored by the others.

why not use a linkwitz transform to compare 0.5, 0.577 etc

You are spot on. Sadly I don't think many people appreciate the simplicity and brilliance of what you just said. Clearly the way to go. Use the Linkwitz spreadsheet, build a few digital filters and load them into a PC or miniDSP or something and listen to what ever damping you desire. It could be done at various frequencies. Another approach is to just create a high pass filter and listen to the various configurations with headphones with sufficiently extended low end.

Reactions: 1 user
This is using the 'unbroken in' manufacture numbers...
Which could be taken by constant current, or by constant voltage, at a variety of drive levels, all yielding somewhat different numbers. Then you have driver-to-driver production variance. Then you have "adjusting" the numbers for marketing purposes, on up to complete nonsense.
--> It does not really make sense to worry too much about small differences in calculated box sizes or Q in the box or whatever.
(Even though that's exactly what I did when I started as a loudspeaker engineer, until cold reality set in :eek:)
- Also because T/S parameters are a MODEL and the reality is more complicated.
- I have seen a couple of tests showing significant drop in resonance from break-in...I consider that not a great design, frankly. My experience testing some woofers over time, and most extremely I think it was a gross of 5x7s slammed stop-to-stop at full power for 280 hours. Resonance did indeed drop, and continually so, but the change to resonance and parameters and frequency response were not huge. [Note that Fs is proportional to 1/(square root of Cms) so the effect of a change in compliance is reduced]
If you really want to get picky, then ya gotta measure your individual parameters-after ha ha deciding on which flawed method you want to use...

Last edited:
I am a novice when it comes to these things but surely the 'sound' of a sub as defined by terms like 'muddy' and 'slow' has very little to do with the driver. Receipt of low frequencies is not limited to audio. The vibrations travelling through concrete or wood reach the listener at 10x the speed of those travelling through air - this may contribute to any perceived muddiness or slowness.

Unless you're listening to sign waves, the majority of the texture of bass sounds is not the responsibility of the sub-woofer. Beyond the fundamental frequency the timbre is produced by the overtones that are output by higher frequency speakers.

Reactions: 1 users
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I am a novice when it comes to these things but surely the 'sound' of a sub as defined by terms like 'muddy' and 'slow' has very little to do with the driver.

Thiose charactes have a myriad of causes Driver, box, amp driving them (amplifier Zout has to be suitable for the driver/box), room, room placement, what the source is even.

dave

I am a novice when it comes to these things but surely the 'sound' of a sub as defined by terms like 'muddy' and 'slow' has very little to do with the driver. Receipt of low frequencies is not limited to audio. The vibrations travelling through concrete or wood reach the listener at 10x the speed of those travelling through air - this may contribute to any perceived muddiness or slowness.

Unless you're listening to sign waves, the majority of the texture of bass sounds is not the responsibility of the sub-woofer. Beyond the fundamental frequency the timbre is produced by the overtones that are output by higher frequency speakers.
Very interesting point about vibrations through the room structure, I've never seen that before. Delayed energy could come out of that as well. And the "speed"* of the bass probably has more to do with the midbass rolloff of the sub plus integration to the mains. I wouldn't absolve the subwoofer, however, even though it IS almost Easter :p. The sub can certainly "ring" on low notes depending on the design.

Nothing the least bit "critical" or even desirable about the magic number. Just a numerical convenience.

The proper Q for reproducing a recording is zero. You want your speakers to have no voice of their own. And if they have a voice of their own (which is hard to avoid), it should be outside their passband.

B.

The sub can certainly "ring" on low notes depending on the design.
Interesting - I agree - every time I mention this fact I am shot down in flames by folks telling me this is swamped by room effects. I continue to hear systems having lots of stored energy (folded/tapped horns, ported etc.) as very poor compared with those which do not. Very fast Metallica-style bass drumming always sounds like blurry mush to me on such systems, rather than the staccato machine-gun like sound it should be. (This genre is but a tiny subset of my listening used as a pertinent example, not representative of it!). Step response seems to be so often ignored or overlooked...

Reactions: 2 users