Reggae sound system build advise

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'll take that back on the Karlson - 2245H has very low fs - would have a peak around 200 - -BUT - it could be carried by one person and should allow 500W or more without going past 2245H'z Xmax

jEvY2BJ.jpg

here's a "Super Scooper" sim - its obvious I don't participate in PA work

dsHxW5O.jpg

SUPER SCOOPER PLAN
Speakerplans.com

Last edited:
with power ratings you should keep in mind that the power scale is logarithmic. Once you get to the range of a few hundred watts, you hit a point of diminishing returns. From 1 Watt to 1000 watts, you get ~30dB of acoustic output. going up to only 500 Watts instead of 1000 yields 27 dB. Or if you think about it the other way around, 3 dB headroom for 1000W means 2000W !!! Getting a bit silly, isn't it.....

Using crest pro amps, a 8001 per Quad should be plenty. depending which drivers you use, you could drive one quad per channel. Even more so on a 9001. I have operated two 8001. Even with one 8001, two PD186 loaded in X1 subs per channel (-> 4x PD186), you can easily cover medium sized venues. On one occasion we kept up with a Void Inf8 powered four Superscooper rig indoors.

One 9001 per quad 18" would be crazy/suicidal.......

With quad boxes I would think that ultimately you are compensating with increased membrane surface area for amplifier power. You just connect more drivers to whatever amp you have, and let the increased Sd take care of business, even though you will not be spanking each individual driver within it's absolute limits to eek out every last 10th of a dB. With a scoop rig otoh, you try to maximize output per sub driver with the acoustic help of the enclosure -> optimization for size/weight/output

i would not go for one quad cab 900ltrs,but 2 of 450 lts makes more sence.
2 hogscoops (600ltrs )gives you 135db @xmax@60volts@4ohm flat to36hz
2 double 18 br cabs(450ltrs)gives you 132db@100volts@8ohm flat to 32hz
both are equed and hpf in place,not calculating power and port compression.
if you are looking for a distinguish reggea sound ,go for the(more dynamic)scoops.
less total weight,less power hungry.

I've been offered some BGW VX660 and VX440 amps

I think I can get a VX660 per quad. VX440 per 4 15's.
VX660 is 1050W per channel at 4 Ohms. So 525W per driver.
Should be more than enough.

Anyone heard of these amps. The BGW site says they were released 2002.
I've been old by a speaker plans poster that what speakers are connected to the amp is what will make the quality difference.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.