Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Would this crazy idea be worth trying?
Would this crazy idea be worth trying?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th February 2018, 10:24 PM   #1
Vasubandu is offline Vasubandu  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Would this crazy idea be worth trying?

Hi, my name is Matt Davis, and I am new here and pretty new to audio. I am not a huge DIY person except when it comes to falling off cliffs. But I can learn and I can take my time.

The DIY thing appeals to be because I almost never do or use things the way they were intended. My wife calls that the right way, and I call it an arbitrary way. I have enjoyed audio because every "fixes" and "improves" top of the line expensive speakers. Makes sense to me.

I just finished a 5.1 setup for my wife and kids. It is all Klipsch, but even it is a little odd. I have an RC-7 center and then RF-5 fronts, but the RF-5 have tweeters and crossovers from some RC-7. Since the woofers in the RC-7 and RF-5 are identical, kind of have 3 RC-7 up front, albeit in different cases. My surrounds are the two RC-7 with the RF-5 tweeters and crossovers. It creates what I perceive to be a unified field of sound with no edges or gaps. I may hook up the RS-7 surrounds instead, but that is for later.

My subwoofer is an SVS PB2 Plus, which weighs 175 pounds and has 2 12-inch drivers. I quite like it, but I have minimal experience with subwoofers. I wanted to get a B4 Plus that is for sale in San Diego. It has 4 drivers and weighs 200 pounds. Must have been made around 2000. The guy wants $900, and I could get it to Seattle for under $200. But people have warned me about old subwoofers. So I turned my attention to newer subwoofers.

The SVS round subs really caught my eye. And from what I have read, they are acoustically the same. Not sure about that. And then a few people told me to just build my own, that it was relatively easy and a lot cheaper. So that led naturally to the idea of making my own round subwoofer. I am told that people do or have done that, but I have not seen much about it.

And once that set my mind going, it just took off, and I realized that that circle would actually be considerably smaller that the square ones, and then that made me consider a taller round sub to make up the size difference, and then that grew to 6 feet. That in turn made me think about multiple drivers, which reminded me of the B4.

So here is the question. Would it make sense to try a six foot tall round sub with a 20 inch interior diameter, and then put 6 18-inch drivers in it, three pointing out from each half, and set them up with a push-pull system? That may be a stupid idea, but it actually is the one I am trying to evaluate.

I thought I was the only one, and then I came across this.

How to Make a DIY Cylinder Subwoofer (AKA Sonosub) | Spinditty

Any thoughts or comments are welcome. And if this is stupid, just tell me, I can take it.
Old 9th February 2018, 09:06 AM   #2
Nenola is offline Nenola  Finland
diyAudio Member

At least here in Finland, lots of people built those Sonotubes or LLT (large and low tuned) subs back in the day. I think the name Sonotube came from the pipes manufacturers name, sono-something. They were basically thick cardboard tubes and really cheap. You could get a big and rigid enclosure really cheap and easy to build. The the tubes became expensive to get because they only sold really long bulk sizes and the shipping costs were ridiculous.

Someone has already started a similar project: 8 subs and 2 tubes

I have no experience in those push-pull configurations, but they seem to be quite tricky to build in a tube. Maybe if you get some kind of tube cheap, you could start with two separate tubes with one driver in each, possibly a Dayton audio ultimax, the bigger the better Usually you will get much better frequency response from two separate boxes with correct placement, than one.
Old 9th February 2018, 11:27 AM   #3
MemX is offline MemX  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I can't quite picture "6 18-inch drivers in it, three pointing out from each half, and set them up with a push-pull system".

BossoBass sells what I guess is ultimately a tube-based system, which stacks and is scalable - I recall him saying on the data-bass forum that he found negligible difference running push-pull, but I am very pleased with my PPSL subs and would say that the difference is noticeable.
Old 9th February 2018, 11:50 AM   #4
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

More sonotube ideas PassDiy

Would this crazy idea be worth trying?Hide this!Advertise here!