Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

1 Sub or 2 for X-Over at 80hz
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th February 2018, 11:18 AM   #21
bentoronto is offline bentoronto  Canada
diyAudio Member

Back to the OP question. Funny thing, took me a decade before going to stereo because I felt I'd rather have a single high quality speaker rather than two medium quality speakers for stereo.

Likewise, since there's no loss in playing a mixed-bass signal, maybe one large, low-playing sub would be better than two compromise subs?

B.
Old 6th February 2018, 11:22 AM   #22
globalplayer is offline globalplayer  Germany
diyAudio Member

Sure.
But I would want 2 anyway.
In case I would blow one I still have a "spare".
Also I could listen to those old stereo "bass" mixed records like intended.
Old 6th February 2018, 12:49 PM   #23
DonVK is offline DonVK  Canada
diyAudio Member

I use 2 subs, that I've tried crossed at 80Hz-100Hz at various times (currently 90Hz). They are different designs (BR, BP6) and different sizes (10", 12"). Both are using the same mono signal and I can't tell where the drivers are, its omnidirectional.

Two subs will provide more even bass in your room if they are setup properly. I have measured it and walked around to hear it. IMO 2 subs are a better than a single larger sub, and they can be mono.

Last edited by DonVK; 6th February 2018 at 12:51 PM. Reason: stereo
Old 6th February 2018, 01:10 PM   #24
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Ideally the subs should be within 1/4 of the wavelength of the crossover frequency from the main speakers, in your case just over 1 metre. Although at such a low frequency it probably won't matter that much
Old 6th February 2018, 01:39 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

I would agree from acoustics principle.

However LF in a room is hard to control and when I played around with phase and sometimes phase correction (FIR) I heard very little difference. I don't seem to be sensitive to it.
Old 6th February 2018, 01:46 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Yes, it's just to minimise interference at crossover, but at that frequency the room has more of an influence with odd phases all around
Old 6th February 2018, 02:08 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

I have wondered if the "evenness" that I experience is actually multiple waves disoriented in various ways from the room and the mic /ear is averaging them so phase is less important than frequency.

Last edited by DonVK; 6th February 2018 at 02:11 PM. Reason: not random in stochastic manner, but various from geometry
Old 6th February 2018, 02:51 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Probably. I had my WAW set up crossed at 130Hz LR4 and measured a dip there at my listening position but couldn't hear one. Was the mic registering something at one point in space, but my two ears were hearing something else?
Old 7th February 2018, 12:54 PM   #29
Think is offline Think  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribute View Post
Hi, I want to add a sub or maybe two to my system crossing over a say 80hz. At this frequency can you still define stereo. If not I should be able to get away with one sub, however if you can still hear stereo then I guess I need 2. Cheers
2 small subs will sound better then 1 big one and always play them mono. As far as I know, the only usefull usage of stereo subs are really big live events. YouTube
Old 7th February 2018, 01:46 PM   #30
lsiberian is offline lsiberian  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think View Post
2 small subs will sound better then 1 big one and always play them mono. As far as I know, the only usefull usage of stereo subs are really big live events. YouTube
Just remember it's a lot easier to upgrade 1 big sub to 2 big subs than 2 small subs to 2 big ones.

1 Sub or 2 for X-Over at 80hzHide this!Advertise here!