Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

<Two Sheets, 43Hz Folded Horn
<Two Sheets, 43Hz Folded Horn
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd January 2018, 12:12 AM   #21
wg_ski is online now wg_ski  United States
diyAudio Member

How on earth do you expect to get 60 cubic feet of horn out of two sheets of plywood? My 32 cubic foot "DH horn" takes 3.25 (13 sheets builds 4 boxes). And very little scrap. There is more than one full sheet just for all the innards. It was designed specifically to fully utilize 4x8 sheets and pack into a horse trailer.

You can cut the outer 4x2x3 (24 cubic foot) FLH box out of two sheets, but I'll be surprised if you can get the innards out of that last half sheet, considering you want a 96 inch path. A well stocked scrap pile might help. The box would be big enough to get useful 40 hz out of, but would be more like 6dB down in singles. You might want two.
Old 23rd January 2018, 01:02 AM   #22
StainlessSteve is offline StainlessSteve  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm going to edit the post to say 3.333 (repeating) sheets.

Last edited by StainlessSteve; 23rd January 2018 at 01:05 AM.
Old 23rd January 2018, 01:22 AM   #23
weltersys is offline weltersys  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteve View Post
Steve,
Might as well edit "under 60 square feet external" to "under 60 cubic feet", and specify the SPL output you desire in half space while you are in the edit mood ;^).
Old 23rd January 2018, 02:54 AM   #24
globalplayer is offline globalplayer  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteve View Post
Wise decision.
Old 23rd January 2018, 08:02 AM   #25
chris661 is offline chris661  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

60 cubic feet is 1680L. That's not a small box, and will likely need more than 3 sheets of wood.

Anyway, with a big front-loaded horn, you can do it. I used a decent RCF 12" driver in my sims since that's what I happened to have loaded in Hornresp.

This achieves 129dB from 43Hz upwards from a single 12" driver, in a box a smidge over 3000L net. With wood added for folding etc, it might end up 3500L.

Vrc: 56.16
Lrc: 41.50
Vtc: 1345.55
Atc: 530
S1: 132.5
S2: 38436.24
L12 (Hyp): 420.77

Good luck folding it.

IMO, the specs you're hoping to achieve are borderline ridiculous. For a 12" driver to do that SPL in a sealed box, it'd need a little more than 4" of one-way travel. A big horn gets you some leverage, but you're looking at 3 cubic metres of horn. By the time you've bought all that wood, you could've got a nice pair of 15" drivers, a few kilowatts of amplifier, and done the same thing in less than 200L.

Chris
Old 23rd January 2018, 08:27 AM   #26
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppler9000 View Post
Does anyone else find it rude when someone starts a post with "Um", as if they are questioning the intelligence or diligence of the person they are responding to?

If they are asking for free help from a stranger, perhaps something like "Do you have measurements you could share?" might be more polite.
No, more like that the person answering needs to think a bit before the answer. This is how it works in real conversation right? Instead of becoming dead silent after a question, the respondent indicates that the question is received but is not ready to answer. The Um is just the written variant. Not necessary but again, indicates that the answer took some time to identify. Rudeness usually comes out much more clear -

//
Old 23rd January 2018, 03:23 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris661 View Post
60 cubic feet is 1680L. That's not a small box, and will likely need more than 3 sheets of wood.

Anyway, with a big front-loaded horn, you can do it. I used a decent RCF 12" driver in my sims since that's what I happened to have loaded in Hornresp.

This achieves 129dB from 43Hz upwards from a single 12" driver, in a box a smidge over 3000L net. With wood added for folding etc, it might end up 3500L.

Vrc: 56.16
Lrc: 41.50
Vtc: 1345.55
Atc: 530
S1: 132.5
S2: 38436.24
L12 (Hyp): 420.77

Good luck folding it.

IMO, the specs you're hoping to achieve are borderline ridiculous. For a 12" driver to do that SPL in a sealed box, it'd need a little more than 4" of one-way travel. A big horn gets you some leverage, but you're looking at 3 cubic metres of horn. By the time you've bought all that wood, you could've got a nice pair of 15" drivers, a few kilowatts of amplifier, and done the same thing in less than 200L.

Chris
Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by StainlessSteve; 23rd January 2018 at 03:43 PM.
Old 23rd January 2018, 07:58 PM   #28
manninen is offline manninen  Finland
diyAudio Member

Easy sim. there is room for those in north korea border
Old 23rd January 2018, 08:37 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Now could you (the forum) fold it into a <60 cubic foot box/rectangle?
Old 24th January 2018, 02:06 AM   #30
wg_ski is online now wg_ski  United States
diyAudio Member

If you insist on doing this, you might want to stop at S4, and make L45 a separate flare extension that can be latched on. Take it off and the low end drops a bit, and only use it when you really want the SPL. And it is a lot easier to fold a 3 segment box.

&lt;Two Sheets, 43Hz Folded HornHide this!Advertise here!