Tymphany's new +/- 45mm woofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Soon to be released
Driver Detail | Tymphany

only +/-10.4 linear, but advertised +/-45mm "excursion"

Rather low sensitivity. Seems like a car woofer, but I wonder how it could do in a tapped horn?

I have been waiting for this subwoofer for awhile. I hope Josh Ricci will be able to get one for testing! This should make a great small sealed home theater subwoofer.

Regards,
Matt

I would rather use 2 of those:

Sound Ordnance M2-12DVC 12" subwoofer with dual 4-ohm voice coils at Crutchfield.com

Carbon copy of the german engineered Alpine SWG-1244.

10 mm xmax, 50 mm p-p.
89.5 db sensivity.
less than 150 g mms.
1.02 mH inductance.
low qts.

2 of those will have equal max. spl using 1/7 the power.
Also sq will be much better.

Those specs actually look pretty good. Xmax is slightly low for car audio use, but efficiency is pretty high. Have you actually had one of these drivers on hand for testing?

Those specs actually look pretty good. Xmax is slightly low for car audio use, but efficiency is pretty high. Have you actually had one of these drivers on hand for testing?

I am sorry but this driver has not any specs. I cannot find it's Re and BxL figures? It lacks fundamental information about true motor performance. Please not take voltage efficiency into account for sub-bass duties as it is calculated for 1kHz after theoretical FR flat-out and far away after any subwoofer filters range.

Tymphany driver is OK for subwoofer duties but nothing spectacular. Just another cost-effective driver designed for car sealed DSP box in 15-inch range.

Last edited:
I am sorry but this driver has not any specs. I cannot find it's Re and BxL figures? It lacks fundamental information about true motor performance. Please not take voltage efficiency into account for sub-bass duties as it is calculated for 1kHz after theoretical FR flat-out and far away after any subwoofer filters range.

It's a DVC driver, with a quoted impedance of 4 ohms per coil. Re isn't given, but it's likely somewhere between 3 to 4 ohms. From this, you can use Hornresp to calculate the possible range of values for BL, given the other published parameters and a guess at Sd. Nothing beats having the actual driver on hand for testing of course.

Actually I got 5 of those, but the carbon copy european Alpine SWG-1244 version it has only a single 4 ohms voice coil.

Very good sounding and good materials/construction.
Infact very impressive considering the price point.
Cone is relatively light and very rigid.
xmax is 11.5 mm actually.
It is impossible to destroy it mechanically, only electrically.

I talked to the engineer in a german forum about construction/engineering:

Mivoc AWM 124 in 6th order Bandpass - Seite 2

If you can translate, maybe google.

It is more of a low distortion sq woofer.
On the pics they look exactly the same so I guess they are, apart from the dvc.
Also the pdf has the same specs listed.

To be sure here is the original:

Alpine SWG-1244 30cm subwoofer 250 WRMS 4 Ohm | eBay

Even the higher price and shipping it will be worth it.
But I think they are the same.

Tymphany driver is OK for subwoofer duties but nothing spectacular. Just another cost-effective driver designed for car sealed DSP box in 15-inch range.

Theres a pdf on the site.

Re is 2 x 3.6 ohms for the dvc
BxL is around 15-16 Tm for the single 4 ohms vc Alpine SWG-1244 version if I remember right, maybe a little higher.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.