Subwoofer Design like Fan without Sound

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone,
I have an idea but I would like to ask you for not having technical knowledge, it is enough for me that this idea can be theoretically possible..

I would like to design ported subwoofer with 2 air holes with two air check valves. One hole is for air input to subwoofer, another one is for out.
Check valves will block reverse air flow.

Subwoofer input will be given around 1000 watts for air transfer but subwoofer sensitivity will be very low.Input will be a sinusoidal signal at 30 Hz with high Vrms (1000 watt). Because low sensitivity output, SPL will be less than 70 dB and the human ear is not sensitive to low frequencies, your ear can not sense anything but because of air flow, subwoofer will work like a fan :)

Diaphram of woofer will move very fast and air flow will be very fast because of power output but very low sensitivity provides no sound to hear.
I mean, subwoofer will turn into a silent fan :)

My questions are:

1- Is it possible theoretically? I dont care it's efficient or not.
2- For low sensitivity, how the subwoofer should be? Size,holes, etc.. Please give me some parameters for low sensitivity.

Note 1: I calculated SPL --> 70 db with that website, if sensitivity will be around 40 ,it will be okey.

Peak SPL Calculator

Note2: Human ear can not hear, for 30Hz sound at 70 dB.

https://www.researchgate.net/profil...rves-after-DW-Robinson-and-RS-Dadson-1956.png

Last edited:

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Sound is not a steady flow of air in one direction. Sound is air pressure variations (back and forth). You seem to have designed a pump. It will only be good for DC, given your room is airtight - DC (constant over? pressure) is really boring to listen to - it only give you a lock in the ear :)

//

You could improve things by putting valves on both sides of the driver, so both the front and rear of the cone can vent to the outside world. That'll double your airflow.
Wouldn't that cancel everything out? I think the only way it might work is like a 2 stroke engine, one piston and two valves ducted so they vent 180 degrees apart

Last edited:
I want to have a fan without noise, high power provides more diaphram movement but less sensitivity provides less SPL. So I get less sound but more air. Thats my goal :)

Where do you think the power that goes into the driver will go? It heats up the air in the box. Your "silent" fan will blow hot air, and not very much of it. This is why you want high efficiency and not low.

A diaphragm pump will make small amounts of high pressure air. What you seem to expect is lots of low pressure air.

To play along with your silly notions: to make a driver have low sensitivity, you minimize
Bl*Sd/(Mms*Re)

That means weak magnet, low # of turns, small area, high mass and high DC resistance all work to reduce efficiency/sensitivity.

To make a propeller fan quiet, you make it larger and turn it slower. This is the best approach to have a "silent" fan.

This is a very silly idea. If you want a low noise fan then buy a low noise fan!
But as a mad DIY project I like the concept.:D
Using both sides of the speaker in separate chambers makes sense and the reed valves should work.
But the valves will introduce physical noise and harmonics to the output flow so there will not be a clean 30hz.
Also sensitivity has little to do with SPL - Displacement of air has.

50 or 60 hz will be cheaper - just use a mains transformer.

Hi All,

FYI: A weird attempt? :eek: Check my Calculations:

b:)

Attachments

• SpeakerPump.JPG
    SpeakerPump.JPG
    573.1 KB · Views: 85
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.