H frame tips to match Klipsch Heresy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Fellows,

I would like to built a pair of h frame sub (with some eminence or faital) in order to match my Heresy.
I love the high/medium and lower medium they provide but as you know, bass shy they are. I've the feeling that open h frame could match the lower medium of this sealed design, or I'm wrong at all?

Any tips regarding the built?
Best driver for it? I would like to use the faital 15PR400
How to calculate low pass xover?

Thankkkks

Last edited:
that Faital is probably overdamped (too low Qts) and could exhibit too much midrange - look at my rough sim comparing it to a Goldwood GW-1858, both in the same size H-baffle

my GW1858 measured flatter than this sim and had some gentle rising response. It went to ~30Hz reasonably flat.

GW-1858 has a small xmax but is well controlled (perhaps a progressive suspension) and does not bottom out easily in open/H-baffle applications. Its moving mass is fairly low which may be helpful.

There may be better speakers than GW-1858 but its good for its low US cost. (It was $69 when I bought it)

lossy inductance was used on both woofers - I left an early input screen

fUk9flY.jpg

Last edited:
Alpha 15A are very popular. You could use a small series resistor with some of the lower Q 15" - say 2 ohms. That would weaken the midrange without affecting the low end. Usually a weaker motor is cheaper and has a smaller magnet than a low Qes motor. What are the best buys for 15" & 18 woofers in your country? Ask on other forums too.

here's the general effects on the Faital 15PR400 from adding 2 or 3 ohms series resistance. If you can get a stronger motor cheaper then good - weaken it with some series resistance.

btw I think Heresy can be vented in some cases - which Heresy to you have?

gC3JD85.jpg

A Heresy I with Dayton PA310-8 should be fun

mDYRxK4.jpg

Last edited:
Alpha 15A are very popular. You could use a small series resistor with some of the lower Q 15" - say 2 ohms. That would weaken the midrange without affecting the low end. Usually a weaker motor is cheaper and has a smaller magnet than a low Qes motor. What are the best buys for 15" & 18 woofers in your country? Ask on other forums too.

I will ask thanks, I've access to Faital and Eminence hence the question.
I'm a newbie in crossover, is there some software to emulate a low pass crossover?
I guess I must split Fq between subwoofer /satellite (let's call them satellite ;-)

Visaton (German) do an open baffle kit. The BGS 40 bass driver from that may be locally available.

Also check out local ebay sellers and any shops selling 'replacement' drivers.

For open baffle or variants like H-frames, I think a quad of $50 drivers will probably be better than a single $200 driver.

How to calculate low pass xover?

A miniDSP will be better and cheaper than passives for a < 100Hz crossover.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I would like to built a pair of h frame sub (with some eminence or faital) in order to match my Heresy.

I would question whether any OB woofer would be a match with a monopole higher up.

I have the Alpha 15 in an MJK H-frame. I do not find the quality very good, i’ve still got more mods to do to it thou. Most of the better woofers (except a few hi-quality OB woofers, for instance Audio Elegance and the Pure Audio 15” meant to be an improved Alpha 15) require EQ if in an OB.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.