Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Dual Tang Band 6.5" BR
Dual Tang Band 6.5" BR
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th December 2017, 06:53 AM   #21
grahamgraham is online now grahamgraham  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I have just realised that a slot port would be way easier than a PVC pipe. I wanted to use a tube but it makes more sense for the cabinet to have extra bracing with the port wall.

I think you mentioned to me before about running the port in a L shape along the rear of the cabinet and it effects FB in some way. Perhaps you might be able to refresh me, please? It has the same particle speed 12.5ms and a sharp corner.

Thank you for your input so far!

I'm getting close to the build stage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Steele View Post
You should be fine with a right-angled bend and a particle speed of 12.5m/s

At 22m/s, you are going to see some vent compression effects. This may not be readily audible however, unless perhaps you're playing test tones.

The proximity of the inside end of the vent to the nearby walls will lower the effective resonance frequency a bit. Be prepared to measure Fb and to trim the vent if necessary.
Old 4th December 2017, 09:40 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Decided to go with a slot port. I've been very precise on measurements and volume. Hope it'll be smooth!!
Old 4th December 2017, 09:42 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

My GF isn't happy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1 (4).jpg (752.5 KB, 181 views)
Old 5th December 2017, 04:26 PM   #24
straight8s is offline straight8s  Canada
diyAudio Member

Your cabinet looks tight and right, nice clean work there. I hope you like the subs (I have a feeling you will). I've had countess subs, my TB 6 are on my favorable list.

Coincidently I just finished seeing 4 slightly used for sale under the same model number. If anyone may be interested in Canada (no affiliation) send me a PM.

The seller is asking $80 for all four. In Canadian funds after factoring in shipping thats a very good deal.

I have to pass but they got me wondering how they would work in two separate isobaric boxes. Anyone care to run a simulation for fun?

I hope I didn't offend you for sliding off topic a little bit, Graham. Care to share finishing plans? I'd like to see that when complete.

Enjoy your new subs.

Last edited by straight8s; 5th December 2017 at 04:29 PM.
Old 9th December 2017, 06:26 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Hi!

No, not at all, all input is welcome!

Thanks, yeah I think the box is coming along nicely. I will be bracing with some 15mm dowel and using Van Damme 2.5mm twin core studio speaker cable this weekend.

As for finishing, I have no idea as yet. These subs are for my front room so the Girlfriend Approval Factor is a string element to consider. I previously used some paint made for wood. This time maybe I should go with an undercoat and then a gloss?

What finishing would you recommend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight8s View Post
Your cabinet looks tight and right, nice clean work there. I hope you like the subs (I have a feeling you will). I've had countess subs, my TB 6 are on my favorable list.

Coincidently I just finished seeing 4 slightly used for sale under the same model number. If anyone may be interested in Canada (no affiliation) send me a PM.

The seller is asking $80 for all four. In Canadian funds after factoring in shipping thats a very good deal.

I have to pass but they got me wondering how they would work in two separate isobaric boxes. Anyone care to run a simulation for fun?

I hope I didn't offend you for sliding off topic a little bit, Graham. Care to share finishing plans? I'd like to see that when complete.

Enjoy your new subs.
Old 9th December 2017, 08:18 AM   #26
Baldin is offline Baldin  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Baldin
Hi Graham

Looks really good
Tuned to 30 Hz you will have quite a good output, also with the driver's 11,5 mm Xlin
Cool
/Baldin
Old 9th December 2017, 01:33 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Thanks man, I'm really looking forward to the drivers arriving!

Do you know much about measuring after it is complete? I am not sure where to start looking or what terminology to use.

I have an Audio Technica condensor mic and a small garden, would these be good to do a frequency response test with? Is there particular software for this or is Room EQ Wizard the way to go?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldin View Post
Hi Graham

Looks really good
Tuned to 30 Hz you will have quite a good output, also with the driver's 11,5 mm Xlin
Cool
/Baldin
Old 9th December 2017, 03:30 PM   #28
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Dual Tang Band 6.5" BR
Graham,

Got a couple of these drivers too. Look forward to updates once you get the drivers.
Old 12th December 2017, 10:31 PM   #29
straight8s is offline straight8s  Canada
diyAudio Member

Light maple veneers seem wife friendly. Finished with natural danish oil and a low gloss clear over it. Or white washed veneer. Something that blends in lol. Go over finishes with your gf, get her involved. If she ends up liking it getting a 2nd sub into the room might fly. Gloss white is nice but not the best to do over MDF unless you seal it good by rolling on a couple coats of good quality two part glass resin. Choices are endless. That box deserves something nice over it.
Old 13th December 2017, 12:18 AM   #30
globalplayer is offline globalplayer  Germany
diyAudio Member

I would use a radius/flare on the port to keep distortion and velocity down.
Also it will couple better to the surrounding air.

Dual Tang Band 6.5" BRHide this!Advertise here!