Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

BK Electronics driver AD12-300
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th November 2017, 05:43 PM   #1
MathiasJK is offline MathiasJK  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Default BK Electronics driver AD12-300

Hi,

I was surfing around and found this cheap and in my eyes quite good looking for a subwoofer.
It probably is used in some of the BK finished subs, and they are often Reviewed good.

Is there anyone on here with more info about thw driver?

I saw on another forum a winisd simulation on 50L ported vs sealed and the ported one looked real good to me and the price is absolutely right for me.

Anyone with any comments about the specs, or so? Comments about anything? In my novice eyes this seems like a much cheaper and higher xmax choice to the XLS lines.

What do you guys say?
Old 1st December 2017, 07:51 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Old BK Monolith driver

This is the paraneters:

Sensitivity
87.4dB

Nominal Power Handling
350W

Weight
9.0kg

Range
20Hz to 2500Hz -6dB
Cabinet Volume

Sealed
50 Litres
Ported

100 Litres
Impedance

4 Ohms

Qts 0.37
Re 3.6 Ohms
Vas 103.3 L
Le@1kHz 1.10mH
Mms 150g
Fs 24.6Hz
Cms 0.198 mm/N
Qms 2.76
Sd 514.7 Cu Cms
Qes 0.43
Bl 14.0 T-M
Xmax 15mm

In my novice eyes, with no laptop to simulate boxes with, this drivers seems nuce and abit like a better version of a XLS/XXLS to a better price too. As it is sold by BK electronics, it probably is used in some of their, here in Sweden very well received subwoofers.

I saw a simulation of 50L ported and closed on some other site and the 50L ported looked very well, nice straight response down to about 25-28hz in 50L ported tuned to 23hz.
The box at 50L' sealed seemed quite nice too if the rooms interaction would be incorporated in the simulation.

The drive costs 99. Quite a bit cheaper than an XXLS and a bit cheaper than an XLS, but with higher xmax.

Is there anyone that has anything to say about this driver? It is speculated with some substance behind that this was the driver in the BK Monolith before they changed to an XXLS driver. Which, in some's opinion was a down shift.

I would gladly recieve help with simulating both a good sealed and a good ported box for this driver. As I can't without a functioning pc, it wouldbe seriously appreciated and cherished.

Anyone that wants to help? Or is it only interested in mybeyes as a possibky better cheaper XLS version?

I hope someone help me out with simulation, thank you all in advance. If nothing seems way of, im probably going to buy this driver and try it out. Hopefully with someone's simulation help..
Old 1st December 2017, 07:56 AM   #3
jazbo8 is offline jazbo8
diyAudio Moderator

This might be of interest:

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 1st December 2017, 02:32 PM   #4
Djim is offline Djim  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathiasJK View Post
The drive costs 99. Quite a bit cheaper than an XXLS and a bit cheaper than an XLS, but with higher xmax.
Is there anyone that has anything to say about this driver? It is speculated with some substance behind that this was the driver in the BK Monolith before they changed to an XXLS driver. Which, in some's opinion was a down shift.
Hi MathiasJK,

How can it be a "down shift" when the AD12-200 lacks stabilization of the inductance during movement, Klippel optimized mechanical parameters and minimal motor loss design, like the XLS range? Those things don't show up in linear model but justifies the price difference, IMO. I'm not saying the AD12-200 is a bad driver but it's not of the same class.

Regards,
Djim
Old 1st December 2017, 04:48 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Is it clearly says, in some peoples opinion. Try google and you shall find who and why.. it isnt me who says it as it also says clearly
Old 1st December 2017, 06:17 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hi MathiasJK,

Can you share thelink cause I can't find any monolith with an x(x)ls driver.

Regards,
Djim
Old 2nd December 2017, 01:30 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Audio drive 12" 300W driver | AVForums

I you look at the different BK subs for sale, and check out how rhe drivers look you'll see in which subs which driver is used in. Monolith clearly seems to use this element. The cheaper ones use XXLS it looks like and also states.

Last edited by MathiasJK; 2nd December 2017 at 01:33 PM.
Old 2nd December 2017, 04:37 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hi MathiasJK,

In your link there is no reference to a monolith with an x(x)ls driver. Before BK changed to an AD12-300(sb) it was equipped with an Eminence Lab12. Today only the 'Monolith Plus' is available with a Lab12 driver. According to BK the XXLS400 is their highest quality (closed) subwoofer and is equipped with a XXLS12.

Regards,
Djim
Old 2nd December 2017, 05:23 PM   #9
5th element is offline 5th element  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Technically speaking inductance linearisation isn't necessary for low frequency performance, although manufacturers do obviously add it to their premium lines of subwoofers.

Realistically speaking the number one parameter for subwoofer performance is how much linear displacement (xmax x surface area) it has. That is if you're wanting to push the sub to it's SPL limits, or EQ as much extension out of the sub as you can get. This includes the suspension elements having the required amount of throw to allow the coil based xmax to actually be useful, something that isn't always the case.

With the XLS/XXLS drivers having 12.5mm of xmax and the AD12, 15mm, the AD is certainly not automatically the loser just because of other assumed parameter differences. The AD12 does, after all, have a coil inductance of 1.1mH, which is unusually low for a sub without linearisation.

I already use XLS drivers for my subwoofers. They are nice drivers but not without their own issues. For example rising second order distortion with my 830452s has the THD spec hitting 10% quite a bit before mechanical xmax is reached, showing non-linearities most likely attributable to the suspension. Adding a second driver in push-pull corrects for this issue, but clearly demonstrates an area where the driver could be improved.

The AD12-300 is built like a tank and has impressive specs, realistically speaking I cannot see anyone being disappointed with it. If the price is right, and it simulates into boxes that work for you, then I'd just go for it.
Old 3rd December 2017, 09:19 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

In a swedish forum with a swedish speaker design program called basta(very very advanced) the xxls and Ad12 simulates extremely alike and AD ofcourse wins in spl because of its higher xmax.

So, buying two AD's for the price, actually a bit less than the price of one xxls makes the choice very easy for me. Extremely easy. Im a newbie, I would not hear difference between them I guess and as they are much cheaper I'll go with them, probavly ported as I listen much electronic music and reggae/dancehall which also is much electronic in it.

I'll buy one first and build a sub with it, if it sounds fine to mee I'll build another one and later a third smaller 8" sub to place high up, I want to try dr geddes idea of mode cancellation.

Thanks for all replys

Anyone's that is interested in helping me finsing out the best vented box, and also closed box for the AD12? It would be much appreciated as I am a newbie. I am a bit of a basshead so a vented box with the best port alignment and fs is most interesting but even sealed are of interest as I'll probably build two of them and musicality and no "one note" bass is important.

Even if im a newbie I still want the best possible sub.

Thanks for all the replys!

Last edited by MathiasJK; 3rd December 2017 at 09:28 PM.

BK Electronics driver AD12-300Hide this!Advertise here!