dual boxes or one big box?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Not a sub, but this is how I did it for my MTM.

518d00591f982899e1dd979010eedc5b_10.jpg

I figured that each driver being in it's own volume removed the possibility of any modulation of the cones from each other (from the inside) and that this is diy so if you can why not, as there didn't really seem to be any downside to doing it. I also figured that it meant that I didn't need any other form of bracing :p

One possible disadvantage would be the closer proximity of panels to each driver that the partition(s) introduces.

Tony.

Last edited:
2 enclosures.
Placement, stability, easier to transport/hide, sound, ... plus If you go ported and kill one driver you still have one full functioning unit left.
For a compromise maybe 2 chambers in one enclosure.
2 speakers playing in one chamber will always sound "bad". They will never be exactly the same and therefore there will be cancellations and phase problems plus distortion from reflecting waves inside the chamber reflecting back unto the cones. Damping will help but anyway it is not optimal.

I seem to remember that putting two speakers in one cabinet increases the cutoff frequency, presuming the same size cabinet. They are in acoustic series, is that right? And acoustic parallel lowers the cutoff (face to face, cross wired). I've lost all my speaker design stuff, lent it out to someone, so apologies if this makes no sense.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.