Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

dual boxes or one big box?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st December 2017, 05:43 PM   #11
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

I can't see that there would be any difference, such as?
Old 1st December 2017, 05:49 PM   #12
merlinx76 is offline merlinx76  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
If you mount the drivers on the same face yes. If you mount them tightly coupled push-push the vibration is much less since the worst of it is actively cancelled at the drivers.

dave
I would love to test this to see if I can notice the difference... but so many boxes, and the cost of Baltic birch! I should have considered it in the first place.
Old 1st December 2017, 05:54 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

It works, you'd have to be totally insensitive to vibration not to notice a difference. The cancellation is almost total
Old 1st December 2017, 06:11 PM   #14
kcducttaper is offline kcducttaper  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm referring to this specific configuration. Not this particular sub, but dual front-firing drivers in the same external box configuration.

Click the image to open in full size.

Bracing aside, can I actually hear the difference between 1 vs 2 internal chambers?
Old 1st December 2017, 06:18 PM   #15
merlinx76 is offline merlinx76  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoplin View Post
It works, you'd have to be totally insensitive to vibration not to notice a difference. The cancellation is almost total
Hmm.. I could take my boxes and bolt them back to back, LOL!
Old 1st December 2017, 06:27 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Worth a try, you might be surprised
Old 1st December 2017, 09:12 PM   #17
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinx76 View Post
I would love to test this to see if I can notice the difference... but so many boxes, and the cost of Baltic birch! I should have considered it in the first place.
We did a test. We made 44 litre subwoofer boxes out of 15mm BB. Braces such that it was about 7-8 for largest unbraced span (2 full width holey baces forming a vertical cross). With no drivers the box could be picked up easily with one hand. With 2 drivers it wa sreally a 2 man lift to be safe. Tested using a mechanics stethoscope i turned it up as loud as i would ever use it with no noticable vibration. Up 10 dB from there (i turned off the satellite amps) i could get noticable output from only the top that will be fixed with the cosmetic clading a chunk of granite or corian in a constrained layer.

Click the image to open in full size.

Anyone building a 2 driver sub without taking advantage of this nearly free trick is missing a golden opportunity.

dave
Old 1st December 2017, 09:26 PM   #18
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

As to the OPs question, no division vrs division in the same boxes — except that with a real divider you get some bracing (with a caveat*) and a halving of one of the dimensions over which you can get standing waves. *(the brace should never be in the centre,this will reinforce the 1st panel resonance but it will reduce ballooning — if you want exactly the same volume, angle the partition).

Again, if the box is not already built, do consider push-push.Even if it is built, and dimensions are sufficientone could take one driver and mount it on the back, turn the box 90 so drivers are on the side — just a question of trying to get the bracing adequate.

dave
Old 1st December 2017, 10:07 PM   #19
weltersys is offline weltersys  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcducttaper View Post
Bracing aside, I know there's a lot of theory involved in the drivers affecting each other and, while I can't discredit it, can one actually hear the difference? Meaning, if I blindfolded myself and took a dual-loaded front firing box, then A/B-ed it against 'the same box' but with a dedicated chamber for each driver, could my ears distinguish the difference?
Can't speak for you, but years ago I could hear the difference, (the dual box being "tighter") though not anything I'd get too excited about. That said, your wallet can definitely feel the difference when you loose two drivers because of a defect in one .

Art
Old 2nd December 2017, 10:38 AM   #20
MemX is offline MemX  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Am I right in thinking that two drivers in one box should be wired to each other in Parallel, to reduce one influencing the other (which might happen in Series)?

dual boxes or one big box?Hide this!Advertise here!