Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Concrete Outdoor Subwoofer for Key Largo, FL
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st November 2017, 03:09 PM   #1
MovingOn is offline MovingOn
diyAudio Member

Default Concrete Outdoor Subwoofer for Key Largo, FL

I am looking to make a subwoofer for a fire pit area and a pool area. I have two different drivers coming to test out - a 15" American Bass TNT1544 4 ohm and a 12" Pioneer TSW311D4 4 ohm. I also have two boxes (one each) to easily move around for placement / sound. The sub will be driven by a Crown XLS10002.

I want to create something that can be outside in Southern Florida... which as most of you know - is hot and humid.

Is there anything I can do to the speakers to protect them? I will have them firing downward about 6 inches off the ground with a grille.

I can either make a concrete structure and put the sub box in it or ditch the box and put the speaker directly in the enclosure.

Any thoughts or advice is welcome! Thanks!! _steve
Old 21st November 2017, 03:12 PM   #2
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Welcome to the forum MovingOn! I relocated your thread to the subwoofer forum as I think it much more likely you will get some responses here.
Old 21st November 2017, 03:13 PM   #3
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Is ferrocement still a thing, perhaps that would work well?
Old 21st November 2017, 03:38 PM   #4
MovingOn is offline MovingOn
diyAudio Member

Much appreciated KevinKR!

I created a fairly large concrete fire pit that turned out pretty nice. I'm sure that I can make something for the sub box.... or if someone has some really interesting ides on other material! _steve
Old 21st November 2017, 06:45 PM   #5
weltersys is offline weltersys  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingOn View Post
I'm sure that I can make something for the sub box.... or if someone has some really interesting ides on other material! _steve
Steve,

LP SmartSide panels are an incredible innovation in structural exterior projects. SmartSide panel is super strong, less resonant than plywood, comes pre-primed, and takes any grade house paint easily. I have used many different finishes on it, but even unfinished, it has continued to survive as a sidewalk in a termite infested area for the last 17 years in spite of the non-finished side directly laying on the ground.
I have used SmartSide panels for outdoor subs and speakers, and for cable ramps, they have survived more truck and car traffic than I ever thought would be possible in the pedestrian areas I have used them in.

There are other products that look similar but don't hold up, LP SmartSide panel held up to testing in Hawaii, a worse climate from a rain/insect/mold aspect than Key Largo.

Art
Old 22nd November 2017, 02:15 PM   #6
USRFobiwan is offline USRFobiwan
Horn Addict
diyAudio Member

A few years ago there was a topic about concrete horn build by someone in his yard. can't remember his name. anyway. in this topic you can find al lot of answers.
Old 23rd November 2017, 03:47 AM   #7
hollowboy is offline hollowboy  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Is there anything I can do to the speakers to protect them? I will have them firing downward about 6 inches off the ground with a grille.
Get a driver that's waterproof (e.g. a plastic or treated paper cone). That, plus how you plan to orient them, should be plenty of protection.

The drivers you cite work well in small enclosures. Outdoors, presumably you can use a bigger enclosure. Do you have a size limit?

Quote:
I can either make a concrete structure and put the sub box in it or ditch the box and put the speaker directly in the enclosure.
By the latter, am I right in thinking you are OK with an immobile sub?

I think a very easy build would be something like this.
Subwoofer

It wouldn't cost much to scale it up (subs need to be bigger or work harder for outdoor use). e.g. you should be able to get thick-walled 200 litre plastic drums for $15 each from recycling yards or food wholesalers (they are used for importing olives etc).

You could make a very solid structure by embedding the barrel in concrete, as pictured - and then put a tabletop on it.

Another decent weather-resistant material: formply. This is plywood with a slick, waterproof face. Large amounts are used for concrete pours on construction sites, and it is fairly affordable.

Or just regular ply + paint.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg barrel sub.jpg (28.3 KB, 244 views)
Old 23rd November 2017, 01:02 PM   #8
straight8s is offline straight8s  Canada
diyAudio Member

Epoxy resin plus gel coat finish over good marine grade ply.
Old 23rd November 2017, 05:28 PM   #9
whgeiger is offline whgeiger  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Open Air Issues

1) Due the lack of a listening enclosure (room), you need more or larger drivers to produce the same LF output at your listening position. Cluster them together as well.

2) Near the sea is not a friendly environment for loudspeakers. Put them on casters and roll them inside when not in use.

3) Never the less, moisture resistance remains important even for units only temporarily placed outdoors.

Regards,
WHG
Old 23rd November 2017, 10:50 PM   #10
straight8s is offline straight8s  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whgeiger View Post
1) Due the lack of a listening enclosure (room), you need more or larger drivers to produce the same LF output at your listening position. Cluster them together as well.
I'm thinking he might be better with some pro woofers of some kind.

I had free range of Community boxes with crown amp powering them. Thats the direction I would probably go.

Concrete Outdoor Subwoofer for Key Largo, FLHide this!Advertise here!