Should I try a DIY sub?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am considering building subs for my home theater. I have spent decades, "building" my system up, and I love it as it is. I have a pair of SVS CS-Ultra subs, which I picked up used for $700 and they are awesome. Driving each one with over 500 watts(Samson S1000 amp).

But I always am looking for the next way to upgrade, and I have never built a speaker/sub before.

I like to always run my subs in pairs(opposite sides of room), I am think 2 x 12" or 15" in each sub (4 drivers total).

But who am I to think I can build a better sub than SVS? If it was that easy, all the mediocre brands would have great subs...

Just not sure if it is worth it to even try.

Thanks

You can definitely build a better sub than SVS, just maybe not for the same money. The number one benefit of DIY is that you can get exactly what you want - prioritize the things that are important to you. Shape, size, extension, output, distortion level - you choose your compromises and get a product that is otherwise unavailable. Maybe it costs more than similar commercial offerings, maybe less.

So Scott's question is of critical importance. You can certainly improve on the SVS subs, but will the cost (in money, space, or other performance aspects) be acceptable?

Oh, also, building your own stuff is bad a$$, so you should definitely do it.

Dan

GM

Joined 2003
I have a pair of SVS CS-Ultra subs.........

I like to always run my subs in pairs(opposite sides of room), I am think 2 x 12" or 15" in each sub (4 drivers total).

But who am I to think I can build a better sub than SVS? If it was that easy, all the mediocre brands would have great subs...

Which one? SVS lists three different alignments........

There's 'no replacement for displacement' [Vd = Sd x Xmax] when building sub systems, only a point of diminishing returns re desired performance goals.

Multiple individual subs properly scattered around the room is the ideal: INNOVATION | Harman

Depends on your performance goals and which SVS you have, but keep in mind theirs are designed for a specific market niche based on a bunch of design criteria averages whereas you would be designing/building for your specific room/needs, which is unique, so normally a well done DIY project will easily outperform most [all?] consumer offerings and often 'blow the doors' off them in every performance parameter at the expense of being [a lot] larger in total and sometimes more expensive depending on components, building materials chosen.

GM

How is your system lacking?

It really isn't, but that hasn't stopped me upgrading before :) . More subs is (generally) better. And 4 15" or even 12" properly built could/would be better than the 2 12s I have now.

Below is a picture of the SVSs, they are one of the original "SVS Ultra" subs. I would say they are most comparable to this current sub SVS PC12-Plus Subwoofer | Ported Cylinder Home Subwoofer

Again, I am nothing but happy with what I have now, it is jaw dropping (to my friends anyway) bass, but I love tinkering with the system, and am just investigating this option.

Oops forgot pic

VA1EUGz.jpg

House or apartment? How is the room constructed? Owned, or renting?

If it is a house, and you own it, you could consider an infinite baffle sub. It essentially uses the existing structure as the subwoofer enclosure. If you mount the drivers in opposing orientations, and you'll reduce the amount of carpentry you have to do. Example here:
William Cowan's Homepage

In software, you model an IB as a sealed box of 9999+ litres.

More info here:
Home | "Cult of the Infinitely Baffled" Hear The Bass, Not The Box The definitive online resource for Infinite Baffle subwoofer design Established 1999

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.