Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Best replacement 10" drivers 0 each budget..
Best replacement 10" drivers 0 each budget..
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th October 2017, 03:30 AM   #11
compaddict is offline compaddict
diyAudio Member

I do like the idea and sound of sealed boxes.. That being said, I have a crazy Sundown 6.5" bandpass box in the back of my car that amazes me every day.
That Volt driver looks very interesting.
Old 29th October 2017, 04:27 AM   #12
JonBocani is offline JonBocani  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by compaddict View Post
That is interesting. I do have space for two tens in each box. I will look at the internal bracing. What are the pros and cons of passive? And thank you for your input.
Vince
HUMAN Speakers: What is a passive radiator?
Old 29th October 2017, 04:32 AM   #13
JonBocani is offline JonBocani  Canada
diyAudio Member

FYI:

just did a 122.7db in-room with a single 8 incher, using a 12'' passive rad. At 30hz.

MAX output between 28-35hz, Which one?

Granted, it's one hell of a 8'', but still. You'll get anywhere between 4 to 6db gain just by adding PRs. That's pretty much what i did in the thread above (taken an existing sealed enclosure, cutting a hole and install a PR...)

Make sure you have 1.8x the Vd, minimum, or put 3x per enclosure for a dual-tens.
Old 30th October 2017, 03:53 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

I am crossed over at 80Hz and my subs start falling off at 35Hz.
Old 30th October 2017, 04:12 PM   #15
Charles Darwin is offline Charles Darwin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

If you like the idea and sound of sealed cabs passive radiators are probably not for you!

The working principle behind PRs is the same as the one behind ported cabs.

The problem often cited with ported speakers is smeared transients and poor group delay due to the air mass in the port taking a finite amount of time to get excited and to stop.
The same problem exists with PRs but the difference is that while the air mass in a port tube is measured in grams the moving mass of a suitably tuned PR is measured in pounds.

To me the only acceptable use of PRs is in tiny desk top speakers where the correct port can easily be larger than the actual cabinet.
Old 1st November 2017, 03:08 AM   #16
DiscoJones is offline DiscoJones  United States
diyAudio Member

SB Acoustics SB29NRX75-6 is the best 10" woofer I've heard in your price range. The CSS SDX10 is the best 10" subwoofer I've heard in your price range. Either of these would be well suited for the sealed box size you described.

Dan
Old 1st November 2017, 03:18 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

The CSS SDX10 looks interesting.
Thanks!
Vince
Old 2nd November 2017, 08:40 PM   #18
umut1001 is offline umut1001  Europe
diyAudio Member

I am already using SB34NRX75-6 now and very happy with this.However i now want 2 subwoofers and will build stereo tower subwoofers because bass is not uniform in room.I was planning to buy 1 more piece of SB34NRX75-6 but the box volume seems very large ,about 70 liters internal volume minimum and not well accepted by wife.(She says she accepts it but i am sure she will say they are very big in future)
Now i see this one when you are talking CSS drivers!
Creative Sound Solutions | High End Speakers and Speaker Kits
When i entered parameters to win ISD ,the box volumes are at less than 1 cubic feet!For both CSS 10 and 12 inch drivers.This is 26 liters!
It is unbelievable! I will be very happy if i build slim tower stereo subwoofers with them!
I am planning to cross them at 100-200 hz (for multi use in future.With Woofer assited wideband projects )
I am not sure how much high frequency it can support.I am asking to CSS now.
regards
Old 2nd November 2017, 09:24 PM   #19
umut1001 is offline umut1001  Europe
diyAudio Member

FR is very similar even the volume is 1/3 of the SB driver!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg css vs sb.jpg (211.0 KB, 125 views)
Old 5th November 2017, 04:55 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Very interesting indeed.
Thanks!

Best replacement 10" drivers 0 each budget..Hide this!Advertise here!