Realistically, how low is bass in music?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
At least, it would flash a red LED that I would see and adjust, if the level is way above what I've estimated. And actually fast acting of a digital limiter does not sound as harsh as digital clipping. It is not a theory, it is how it sounds. :D

And of course, the clip that I posted was not the only sound that I recorded. It was much longer during July-4. This clip was selected, cut, normalized, and converted to mp3.

You are welcome! ;-)

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Pano:
I would love to see that link

Hi Pano,

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mult...ntrolled-directivity-wall-10.html#post5474639

I don t have anymore info about that in my archive. Like in your experience this is mostly an empirical conclusion from live/P.A. engineer i met and this documents are the only one i know of talking about that.
In a way this does make sense as outdoor you are dealing with hemispheric* rendering and most bass does indeed radiate omni so you have to compensate for that ( relative to inroom and modal behavior).
The other thing i see is the range which is 'boosted' is where most fundamental of low end instrument live.

I do agree with you about the fact people like to hear 'big' drivers at work and use this as a reference. I think i am one of them but for different reason that the 'thump' ( at reasonnable level i find big drivers more true than typical 6,5'+dome. They have this tactile feel that smaller drivers can t do used in small number).

* i think i ve read the first effort of T.Hidley acoustical design came from a recording session at Bruce Springsteen facility where they relocated some nice speaker on roof top of the building for chill out. He was blown away by rendering and tryed to reproduce this in his first effort before moving toward the path he is now.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.