subwoofer position

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi.I have built a subwoofer with SB Acoustics SB34NRX75-6 12" Woofer.I have made downfiring sealed box of 100 liters with some polyester stuffing
Made a 2. order PLLXO and using axial polystyerene caps.
2.1 system with stereo 4 inch fullranges and one subwoofer.
The sound is very very good.I am very happy with the sound.
Subwoofer is on the left corner and sofa is on the back of the room.
But when i sit on the sofa the bass diseppears(at position of the baby on the sofa).When i stand up bass level increases.When i walk to the middle of the carpet,when getting near the subwoofer or tv, bass sound increases a lot.It becomes Very good bass.But at sitting position there is almost no bass :confused: :(
It seems i can not change the subwoofer position because of "waf".So what can i do ?

Attachments

• 2017-10-08 22.10.29.jpg
    2017-10-08 22.10.29.jpg
    708.9 KB · Views: 234
Hi again.I am sitting in the middle of sofa because it is the middle of fullrange speakers.(stereo image)
When i sit near the curtain(corner of the sofa,opposite the subwoofer),bass increases.But i do not want to sit there because right speaker becomes far away from me.
Yes wife allows sub in the corner.No other place sorry.

Yes i also think it will sound better but sorry the back of the room is not allowed for subwoofer placement(there is tent of my daughter ,and there is a cupboard in the other corner.(unnecessary cupboard and i am tired of fighting with wife)

Attachments

• 2017-10-08 23.59.37.jpg
    2017-10-08 23.59.37.jpg
    737.4 KB · Views: 215
  • 2017-10-09 00.01.46.jpg
    2017-10-09 00.01.46.jpg
    710.7 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:
Unhelpful to talk about such a thing as "bass" - a useless generalization in this context.

In a room like OP - and this is very obvious from the tiny amount of information we have about his problem - the freq response looks like a mountain range anywhere you measure it and different everywhere you measure it.

Is his problem at the crossover region, at the very bottom (who knows where that is?), or the the well-used middle at that most recordings emphasize like 70 Hz? Or all? Or does it change? Or what?

B.

Data! Great. You're now on the high road to better sound. Fair to say that for many recordings, you'd hardly notice the loss, even if folks on this forum would be aghast at the below-50 hole.

My guess is, you explained things quite well in your original post. That should be clear to anyone who re-reads it. Room modes likely. Sitting close to the wall is probably putting you into a big null reflecting that hole in your response.

Now that you have the tools to measure it, you can move speakers, sitting position, and possibly even furnishings to reduce the problem.

A while back, I posted REW freq response for my music room with a sliding-door clothes closet on the wall opposite my speakers and centred. Closet holds my bulky winter motorcycle gear. Big difference with the door open or closed, in favour of being open and absorbent. In my case, my chair is poorly placed near the centre of the room, not a good place.

B.

Last edited:
Hi.Here is the measurement.I am not sure i did it right.Sorry I have very low information about measurement.(no calibration )
Is it very bad?

If you have REW running, try using the RoomSim feature to enter your room size and listening position. The result will be close, but not exact. Then you can move a virtual "you" and "sub" around to see what works to minimize the room null at your listening position.

Ben, there's a 40dB hole from 45-70Hz. There's a lot of content there that will simply be missing.
Very nice of you to want to educate me more on the frequency compass. I wish I could educate you more on (1) hearing perception and (2) the content of recordings. A good place for you to start is the recent thread about how low do you need to go.

No, I wasn't advocating a 70 Hz cut-off (or for umut101, living with a hole that departed from the 5dB plus or minus band of 40-60).

Apropos the suggestion of re-polarizing the woofer. Yes, no kidding, horrible as it sounds to textbook adherents, sometimes really does the trick. I doubt if applicable here, but sometimes hard to guess which polarity will work best in a given room and speaker set-up. My DSP provides for instantaneous switching polarity of any driver; so I've tried it with my rather dispersed sub(s).

Too bad EQ to boost holes doesn't work for many people. But a chance that with DSP you could finagle some improvement somehow. In any case, hard to have a great system without a DSP (OK, just my opinion).

B.

Last edited:
Hi.Thank you for your replies.I closed the door to improve bass response(like in the car)
I have just checked Room simulation tool.I also simulated with 2 subwoofers but it seems it does not help much.
Sorry i can not change the position of my listening place and subwoofer.
Here with one sub response.I adjusted it same as my closed Subwoofer -3db point just same as my sub.
Graph also seems a little similar to my room response.
It seems ultra flat response drivers not necessary right?Maybe bad response drivers are better and corrected by room :) Room makes everything bad :rolleyes:

Attachments

• roomsim.png
    roomsim.png
    105.6 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.