Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Cheap sub for Mackie Thump12s....
Cheap sub for Mackie Thump12s....
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th September 2017, 09:42 PM   #1
Brian Steele is offline Brian Steele  Grenada
diyAudio Member

Default Cheap sub for Mackie Thump12s....

My sister-in-law has purchased two Mackie Thump12s for her outdoor bar, and has approached me about getting a subwoofer for them. DIY or retail - options are open. Requirements are that the subwoofer be able to keep up with the Mackies (but it doesn't have to be much louder than that - there are apartments at one side of the bar), that they can be used outdoors, and that cost be kept down (she purchased Mackies, so...).

Any suggestions?
Old 30th September 2017, 08:35 PM   #2
Zwiller is offline Zwiller  United States
diyAudio Member

I've not gigged out with it yet but picked up Behringer VQ1800 for the daughter's DJ rig (my B rig). Tops are also Behringer 12 actives. Testing in the basement and I was pretty impressed. $350 shipped (scratch n dent). 500w active 18 with HP and variable XO and boost. Insane to me. No mixer/no amp rack/no processor rack. Plug em in and plug in a mp3/phone. Instant club.

Sub is -10db at 40hz, so no real hifi but it does a surprisingly good job. If you are smart and try not to do stupid stuff like boost 40hz it gets quite loud. Same goes for the active tops. Dare I say the system would probably jam a decent sized wedding if you dial it in well.
Old 1st October 2017, 02:45 AM   #3
LORDSANSUI is offline LORDSANSUI  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Active sub whould easier to use.

Why not bild one for her?
Old 3rd October 2017, 01:53 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I checked out the club last night. While they're waiting on a new subwoofer, they're using a QSC KSub. It couldn't keep up, but I think that's mainly a gain structure issue as the gain on the sub was turned up to the max and it wasn't sounding distorted. -6dB at 48 Hz according to the specs, so not much of a "subwoofer", but still the specs say that it's capable of up to 130dB and that should have been more audible than what I heard that night.
Old 3rd October 2017, 03:45 PM   #5
Zwiller is offline Zwiller  United States
diyAudio Member

IMO that's what happens to most of these speakers. They are set up wrong and limiter is constantly engaged choking the output. The limiting effect is not obvious, especially to the inexperienced.
Old 3rd October 2017, 03:49 PM   #6
zettairyouiki is offline zettairyouiki  United States
diyAudio Member

Dayton Audio PA460-8 18" Pro Woofer

At $90 each these are pretty attractive. Drop two of them in a nice sized 2x18 (or 2 singles) ported box and you've got plenty of bass.

I wouldn't trust the 130db claim on that Ksub. I'd bet the number is purely theoretical.
Old 6th October 2017, 02:23 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default Option 1...

40 Hz sub based on the Dayton PA-380 15" driver.

Advantages: 40 Hz capability, "small" box size.

Disadvantages: low(?) peak output, Xmax exceeded with 200W input.
Attached Images
File Type: png 2017-10-06.png (115.8 KB, 124 views)
File Type: png 2017-10-06 (1).png (23.1 KB, 125 views)
Old 6th October 2017, 03:01 PM   #8
screamersusa is offline screamersusa  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Goldwood version?

Brian

I've been gone for a few years...life ya know.
Not Hijacking the thread, I have a very similar need.

I actually need to build a couple of subs for a similar reason. my tssub15 died after only 5 gigs and costs more to fix than build 2 new cabs, and it kinda sucked anyway. The amp modules in those are crap. It died due to moving it. grrrrrr

I was looking at using the goldwood gw-15pc to build karaoke/presentation subs to go under my modded pv15 neo's. this is similar to the bar usage the OP is requesting. personally I want to hit 35 to 80 or 35 to 100(max) to simply ADD some tapped horn type angry thump. There was no work for the big system here so it was given away and sold off for next to free a few years ago. This year I wound up doing a bunch of cheap weddings to my surprise and appear to be heading toward karaoke/wedding/corp presentation (film/voice) in this small market.

So: Would a cab like you proposed work with the goldwood or perhaps a box with a big passive radiator under it like a home sub? I was thinking of the old Bjorno twqp too but don't know what the outcome with those was.

I installed a velodyne 12 home sub in a very small bar, and flew 4 la4 cabs high. Sounds great with enough authoritative thump. Three years and it's still going strong. I wouldn't recommend doing that exactly, but maybe building a similar type of cab set but more professional driven by external amps.
The sound of the home sub in the bar works really well but as a home unit it does have its weaknesses.
Old 6th October 2017, 03:56 PM   #9
screamersusa is offline screamersusa  United States
diyAudio Member

Default addition

What I meant by not recommending the home sub was that I wouldn't put a home sub (or a few) like the velodyne in a place where I was not around to keep an eye on it like where it is now. I Don't trust the electronics.
The design and sound however of the cabinet itself is quite pleasing and not as muddy as many subs that interfere with people talking or conducting the usual bar business. No serious ear fatigue issues either in the piano,acoustic, karaoke bar that system is in.
Old 6th October 2017, 04:14 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamersusa View Post
So: Would a cab like you proposed work with the goldwood or perhaps a box with a big passive radiator under it like a home sub? I was thinking of the old Bjorno twqp too but don't know what the outcome with those was.
See attached for what the predicted response looks like with the GW driver (8-ohm version). As the box is tuned to 40 Hz, you won't get 35 Hz from it. Of the two drivers, the Dayton one looks a little better and should last longer (better power handling). And it costs less to boot.

No way would I build a sub with a downward-facing PR
Attached Images
File Type: png 2017-10-06 (2).png (24.9 KB, 116 views)

Cheap sub for Mackie Thump12s....Hide this!Advertise here!