Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

micro subwoofer a-la velodyne microvee
micro subwoofer a-la velodyne microvee
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th July 2017, 02:42 PM   #31
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Those group delay figures at those frequencies won't be audible
Old 30th July 2017, 07:45 PM   #32
Crashpc is offline Crashpc  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

It kinda is. Some parameters will look absolutely horrible. You want to play with it, and also experience what´s wrong for your ear, and what´s not. I remember one of my bass boxes (12TBX100 tuned at 60Hz), it has absolutely horrible GD at 60Hz, and it sounded tight and generally sounded strong and beautiful!
Old 1st August 2017, 12:04 AM   #33
robinlawrie is offline robinlawrie  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

ok so im very frustrated. ive been in touch with a local supplier of TangBand.

he stated that they do not stock the w6-2100 driver

https://www.parts-express.com/tang-b...4-ohm--264-954

because it has a design flaw.. the holes in the chassis behind the cone are too small, and cause performace issues. im not sure what he meant in practice.. youd imagine that such a fundamental flaw would have been caught early in the design process. he also said that is why parts-express are offering it at a massive discount...
Old 1st August 2017, 12:09 AM   #34
diyAudio Member

ive literally been running sims on every 6.5 and 8 inch sub driver i can find and NONE of them can get quite such a nice response as that one. closest ive got is a response that is 4 db down at 30hz, and cannot play as loud overall.. according to sims cone would only bottom out at about 120w , but the driver in question is rated for 55rms..
Old 1st August 2017, 11:09 AM   #35
wolf_teeth is offline wolf_teeth  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinlawrie View Post
he also said that is why parts-express are offering it at a massive discount...
$130 is not a discount, if you ask me. That is their regular price!

The 5" is on closeout, but it performs well as used by more than one builder and in projects I've personally heard myself. I find nothing to complain about in terms of performance there.

Later,
Wolf
Old 1st August 2017, 11:30 AM   #36
diyAudio Member

Ah it was on sale for $80 until yesterday.. Ill check the 5" you are talking about. Ive not really looked at drivers under 6" until now..
Old 4th August 2017, 04:17 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

Ok so ive been going round in circles, so im starting a challenge (if anyone is interested of course) using a maximum of 20 litres, match or exceed the frequency response and spl of my design, and critically, using a driver thats available in europe that doesnt cost a fortune. Ive looked at dozens, and the only contenders are the dayton ultimax 8", which with two imported eminence high excursion PR's manages to best my design in every way.. However its all imported components and costs upwards of 400 euros just for the driver and PR's including shipping (not even considering the criminal import duties that italy slap on everything from the US)
Old 4th August 2017, 04:20 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

Ive found one supplier of the tang band in europe, but only sold in a bundle with a TB passive radiator, for almost 200 euros, and that bundle doesnt come close to my simmed design. As mentioned i want the smallest box and low registers at not very high spls. Check my sim to see my result.
Old 12th October 2019, 08:19 PM   #39
Stefaantje is offline Stefaantje  Belgium
diyAudio Member

ressurection: Did this ever got built? (be it with the TB PR's or with the Daytons?)

micro subwoofer a-la velodyne microveeHide this!Advertise here!