Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

micro subwoofer a-la velodyne microvee
micro subwoofer a-la velodyne microvee
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th July 2017, 03:46 PM   #21
robinlawrie is offline robinlawrie  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

well on thing i was missing: when i did the sim of the 6.5 tangband i took the PR specs from the partsexpress site.

when i did the others today, i took the PR specs from the loudspeakerfreaks page i had open.

on partsexpress the Vas is listed as 39.7 litres
on loudspeakerfreaks the Vas is listed as 1.4 litres!

i wondered why the PR's were barely changing the response of the box...
Old 29th July 2017, 04:01 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

having said that, even correcting this error, the 6.5 gives up nothing in frequency response, just in absolute spl (and then not by much it seems. )
Old 29th July 2017, 04:42 PM   #23
Crashpc is offline Crashpc  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Thatīs quite usual, that larger drivers only add SPL (to a point). If you want more SPL down there, you need more box volume, and less sensitive, lower Fs driver.
Old 29th July 2017, 04:48 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

nope, im not after more spl.. its just gotta be as small as poss and help out with a pair of booshelf speakers (mission 780 se's on their third rebuild, running on a circa 30wpc gainclone amp)

im happy if it hits noticeable levels at the lower registers (25 hz or so) , which, surprisingly, this design seems to.

i was planning two but i suspect one will be sufficient.
Old 29th July 2017, 05:08 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

questions regarding box size and stuffing:

i know that the volume needs to be 20 litres, however, does winisd consider the volume of the drivers intruding into the space? or do i need to increase the volume to compensate? also, stuffing reduces the cabinet size necessary, so how do i decide how big to make the box?

with 3 PRs and a driver intruding into the box, there is quite a lot of internal space eaten up..
Old 29th July 2017, 05:27 PM   #26
MartyMG is offline MartyMG  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

[QUOTE=
when i did the others today, i took the PR specs from the loudspeakerfreaks page i had open.

on partsexpress the Vas is listed as 39.7 litres
on loudspeakerfreaks the Vas is listed as 1.4 litres!

i wondered why the PR's were barely changing the response of the box...[/QUOTE]

Hi, 39.7 litres is 1.4 cubic feet.
Old 29th July 2017, 06:12 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

well, that makes sense, although its quoted as being in litres on the loudspeakerfreaks datasheet..
Old 29th July 2017, 07:38 PM   #28
Jonhny is offline Jonhny  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I thnik you will be able to get some output down low with the tangbamds. That is what they are good at. I wouldnt drop the idea of having two though. The tangbands are in my experience not good with handling power and getting loud. A 6.5" is going to be struggling filling a room at 30Hz. But used at lower levels the deep bass will be impressive.
Old 30th July 2017, 01:58 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Ok so, reading a bit more abd educating myself, it seems the group delay of my design may be an issue. Its 11ms at 50 hz, and rises exponentially, 18ms at 40 hz, 38ms at 30 hz, and a whopping 60 ms at 25 hz. It peaks at 70 ms at 22 hz but i dont care about down so low.

Is this a really bad result? Will it sound awful? Can it be compensated for with a minidsp?
Old 30th July 2017, 02:06 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Ok i have realised that the vast part of the group delay was caused by the highpass filter i added. Is this normal?

micro subwoofer a-la velodyne microveeHide this!Advertise here!