8" ultimax double folded horn= bad idea?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
First of all I'm seeking tried and true plans for a double folded horn that build that I can place under a king size high bed to compliment miniature full range.

The DFH Anarchy 6 was in the works but the sub I intended to use got smoked during testing. Since Ill be buying another, and there's just enough space to tuck a 10" box underneath the bed and have the port aiming out towards the LCD/ centre of the full range area

Does an 8 ultimax suit well for such an application?

I suppose I could make a sizeable cube , Its a change from what im used to being standard sealed cubes. I thought the horn would be a fun change since Ive never had a FH. And primary use is movie effects, however accuracy is still important.

I would also like to be minimalist with biggest bang. It would be nice to keep the entire system out site except for the mains speakers.

GM

Joined 2003
Hmm, my '60s era king-size bed had ~ 26 ft^3 [less drivers, dividers, etc.] of usable volume [Vb], so you could make a seriously loud, low tuned tapped TL or horn [TTL, TH] with multiple 8" drivers, though based on the app, it doesn't need to be very loud, just super low tuned if it's for movie soundtracks.

GM

Its totally retro cannon bed someone gave me, very well made, mid 80s?? nice looking though with a ton of grains and knots showing. I put new sleep factory mattresses on it with the way they add memory foams and other improvements I almost need step ladder to get on the thing. But its like falling asleep on clouds while being surrounded by a bunch of angels. We watch movies before falling asleep enough times to be worth some work. Now I got myself looking at a mini projector.

A double FH might not be out of the idea, may be able to fit duals. Only space is at a premium Ill hide other electronics under the other half.

GM

Joined 2003
Room dimensions?

How loud, low a tuning? To get all of some movie's output requires an IB, though most folks 'draw the line' at ~10-12 Hz, while others at ~14-16 Hz with THX Cinema at 20 Hz/115 dB @ the listening position [LP].

Desired [required?] XO point?

For reference, simmed a dual 8" Ultimax in a simplified DSL concept DTS TH tuned to ~13 Hz/f3, 60 Hz/4th XO in ~184 L net, so have some room to 'grow' if > ~113 dB/20 Hz/1pi/predicted isn't sufficient or XO too low.

GM

OK, so reduced to ~9.358 ft^3/~265 L gross, still large enough for a low tapped TL or horn [TTL, TH] with [multiple] 8" drivers.

GM

Chris should I build to the same dimensions as specified in the original anarchy plans only with wider baffles and folds to accommodate these https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.c...cl45-8-8-polypropylene-cone-sub-woofer-8-ohm/

Hoping those subs will work well?

I'd be happy with a clean 25-28hz. Room dimensions, I'll have to get back on that.

Driver Fs much too low, Qts, Vas much too high for best performance, but scaled 2x gets the 25 Hz and while it will be underdamped, somewhat stuffing the first segment should be sufficient for an under bed location, though at such a high tuning for movies, some form of EQ will be required to create a hi-pass [rumble'] filter.

GM

I like where this is going. I got a bryston 3b, older model made just after they started putting toroidal transformers in them. Its screechy on the top posts but purebred pitbull on bass control.

I want a fully analog crossover/EQ eq, any recommendations that isnt "pro" and isnt running away with my wallet. Building an active analog might be pushing my abilities, I became terrible at soldering.

I'll show you were I'm at, good thing it will be hidden lol. I decided to start a build two separates I can get two under there and it will ease some demand on just the one.

XO will need to be < 100 Hz/4th order, so would be many large, expensive, components and one reason why XO'd 'sub' systems and especially analog EQ were extremely rare before the digital age. Scope out RCA's late '30s cinema surround sound 'Fantasound' system that would become the 'backbone' of THX cinema specs.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.