Compound loading 6th order quarterwave "Super Planar" horns and pipes concepts/builds

Will your driver have enough "throw" room for xmax or xmech with the braces just flush behind the driver mounting baffle?

The inherent design of the paraflex controls cone movement very well. My drivers are rated 1800w rms and with 3kw input power i could start to see a little thermal compression. But i was still way under 12.5mm of xmax.

Reactions: 1 user
Thats great to hear resko.
Originally when i was looking Through a couple of these Paraflex/ trans flex threads I saw a design that I thought would fit my needs better, but since looking back through these threads I have not found that design.
It was a picture drawn up and it had the low tuned quarter wave pipe exiting at the mouth aperture of the enclosure meeting up with the exit point of the large front resonator, instead of at the rear of the large resonator.
It was almost exactly like the faital paraflex in post 841 but s5 was where s3 is pictured.
Does anybody know of or have seen this schematic for that particular enclosure?
Thanks guys.

Last edited:
Sounds like the Type A Paraflex...

Attachments

• 2021-06-05.png
    2021-06-05.png
    126.3 KB · Views: 270
Hi Zig. Nice cab.
Are you going to paint the inside of the low tuned port area before you close it up? Oops just just saw the colour in post 1199.
Will your driver have enough "throw" room for xmax or xmech with the braces just flush behind the driver mounting baffle?

It's tough to tell from the photo but the braces aren't flush against the empty space for the driver. There's a big notch cut into them so that the cone has way more clearance than it would ever reasonably need.

Here's a pic of the cab loaded and finished with some spar varnish. On top is a kick I built back when my woodworking skills were pretty bad. I have a mono stack set up to spot check the sound of the cab with some actual music and so far, so good. It does have what appears to be a weird resonance somewhere up top but that could honestly be my living room or the fact that I haven't looked at how the phase works out around the crossover point with that kick. (DSP settings right now still assume that I'm using a 15" bass reflex cab in place of the sub.) I look forward to getting the second cab completed and doing some sine wave sweeps with the whole rig in open air.

e: still do not know why pics I upload from MacOS photos library always arrive sideways ��

Attachments

• 8h89yax9TG6nbbYY6vl5ag.jpg
    8h89yax9TG6nbbYY6vl5ag.jpg
    977.4 KB · Views: 263
Handful of pics/vids from over the weekend with the two completed Type C cabs.

The sound is fantastic. I went hog wild with the measurement mic on top of a hill in Morro Bay last weekend. Frequency response is exactly what was advertised and it was really easy to EQ and integrate with the rest of the system. There was a big cancellation happening between the paraflex and the kick and once I added the right delay settings every kick drum felt like being jabbed in the sternum with a boxing glove when standing close to a stack. Excursion was under control all night even with huge bass drops that went very low. They are also surprisingly directional so when we pointed them towards a hill we were on instead of the valley below us it made a substantial difference.

Attachments

• Q0V5od66SQe8jZp71fXZww.jpg
    Q0V5od66SQe8jZp71fXZww.jpg
    753.3 KB · Views: 251
  • FsNsrp6DRNeLSmRnPEXHJw.jpg
    FsNsrp6DRNeLSmRnPEXHJw.jpg
    739.8 KB · Views: 241
  • hLlHI1PaREyInsocmomXTA.mp4
    3.8 MB
  • T9ntKBhhRhmGSl+icBhDBQ.jpg
    T9ntKBhhRhmGSl+icBhDBQ.jpg
    973.4 KB · Views: 239
  • TmqAbf%0RmakeFqmuT3blA.jpg
    TmqAbf%0RmakeFqmuT3blA.jpg
    719.8 KB · Views: 228
  • oL4pW7reR6+L6mBvJwFTNg.jpg
    oL4pW7reR6+L6mBvJwFTNg.jpg
    1,015.1 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:
Grants for the work zigguratSound.

Looking to the picture looks like you system is 4-way, is it right?

In general digital processors works with 3 way system, so maybe your tops are using a passive crossover and you feed them with 1 way (top).

Bass = 1 way
kick = 1 Way
Top = 1 Way (split 2-ways passively)

Good question. The system is 4-way active. We use a DBX driverack to split everything three-way and the 20hz-250hz band gets split again between the kicks and the subs by running that signal into a Behringer crossover. I can only imagine the biggest signal degradation happens there as a result, but the bass sounds OK to me.

If anyone can recommend a logical next step to migrating away from the Behringer, I'd love to hear it.

The tops can reach around 100 hz but the ports are in the back. I built them this way with the expectation that we could just run them at patio BBQs without needing any kicks, just a pair of 15" bass reflex subs.

I opt for the kicks outdoors because they make the rig taller, give us more dispersion control for those frequencies, and take a big load off of the mids. With a taller rig, we still have the kick frequencies at chest height, and everyone can still hear the mids and highs with good clarity even if a tall-ish man walks in front of a stack.

There's also my own dumb-guy reasoning that everything looks cooler this way and we have more surfaces to light up. I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Last edited:
Nice, it's good to know that's an option. I'm fine with mono tbh and love to run speakers in a big stack. The crew played some tracks over the weekend though that sounded really trippy when we got to experience the way the producers panned certain sounds and it was a lot of fun.

I don't think the DBX unit I have provides the ability to output 4-way mono but I've been thinking about picking up a used behringer DSP just because. Does it have a decent iOS app? that's a nice perk of the DBX. My wife was playing lots of house music with very bright-sounding disco vocal samples and I was able to walk around the dance floor with a tablet listening to the mids and figuring out how best to attenuate them for her set.

e: here's another pic of the stacks in my living room since I'm here

Attachments

• m5S7aZcGRMCTvuVuoty+Ig.jpg
    m5S7aZcGRMCTvuVuoty+Ig.jpg
    984.6 KB · Views: 147
Last edited: