Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

ROAR18
ROAR18
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st January 2018, 08:01 PM   #161
globalplayer is offline globalplayer  Germany
diyAudio Member

How is the sq of this design?
Old 1st January 2018, 09:31 PM   #162
Circlomanen is offline Circlomanen  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Everyone who have heard one of these designs comment on the firm, punchy and clean bass. The ROAR12 seems to sound somewhat similar to a large front loaded horn.

I will never build another tapped horn or normal size-constrained front loaded horn again.
My kids and their friends laugh scornfully at bass reflex boxes, band pass and closed boxes after comparing the same driver in several different enclosures.

There is an avalanche of TPQWR builds in Sweden right now. Both for home-theater, car audio competition and for professional use.

Regards,
Johannes
Old 1st January 2018, 09:40 PM   #163
globalplayer is offline globalplayer  Germany
diyAudio Member

Thanks.
Are there any advantages in size compared to a front loaded horn for the same f3?
Old 1st January 2018, 10:06 PM   #164
Grymer is offline Grymer
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circlomanen View Post
Everyone who have heard one of these designs comment on the firm, punchy and clean bass. The ROAR12 seems to sound somewhat similar to a large front loaded horn.

I will never build another tapped horn or normal size-constrained front loaded horn again.
My kids and their friends laugh scornfully at bass reflex boxes, band pass and closed boxes after comparing the same driver in several different enclosures.

There is an avalanche of TPQWR builds in Sweden right now. Both for home-theater, car audio competition and for professional use.

Regards,
Johannes
Do you have any idea why the road doesn’t perform as the sim in the lower region? Do you reckon adding 45 degree plates in every 90 degree corner would help avoid sudden rises in horn-path-size would increase efficiency in the lower region?
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/newre...eply&p=5294733

I’ll add handles, wheels and inputs on the sketchup file some time
Old 2nd January 2018, 05:06 PM   #165
Grymer is offline Grymer
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalplayer View Post
Thanks.
Are there any advantages in size compared to a front loaded horn for the same f3?
It seems that this type of cabinet decreases the movement of the woofer, meaning it can handle more wattage than normally before it hits xmax. I'm pretty sure that the placement of the driver gives plenty of cooling as well. So basically you can drive more watts into the cab!

And according to the simulated cab (If we can get the same results in the low-frequency-region), you get MUCH lower response. Comparing the Roar18 to the 1850, you'll have 100+ db response all the way to 37hz, where as the 1850 goes to 47hz (100+ db).

The 1850 does have a flatter response, at 105dB, where the ROAR18 varies between 102.5 and 105.5. So the 1850 might win sensitivity by a small margin.

Lastly it seems that BesPav was able to use just one cab to satisfy ALOT of people. So it's capable of being used as singles. Front Loaded horns like the 1850 are usually best in packs. Preferably 4 or more.
Old 2nd January 2018, 05:47 PM   #166
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Do you have any idea why the road doesn’t perform as the sim in the lower region?
Not really. I believe there is some strange coupling between the large front resonator via the driver and into the tapped pipe. In every ROAR or TPQWR I have seen measurements from the measured response is much smoother and has a much lower Q then the simulation predicts. I guess this also explains the discrepancy in cone excursion between measurements and simulation. My ROAR12 behaves like the tapped pipe section was at least 50% smaller in cross section then it actually is.

Today my son bought some particleboard to build a small prototype TPQWR for his GAS Comp 15D1.

An externally hosted image should be here but it is no longer accessible. Please upload images instead of linking to them to prevent this.

Old 2nd January 2018, 07:13 PM   #167
Grymer is offline Grymer
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Not really. I believe there is some strange coupling between the large front resonator via the driver and into the tapped pipe. In every ROAR or TPQWR I have seen measurements from the measured response is much smoother and has a much lower Q then the simulation predicts. I guess this also explains the discrepancy in cone excursion between measurements and simulation. My ROAR12 behaves like the tapped pipe section was at least 50% smaller in cross section then it actually is.

Today my son bought some particleboard to build a small prototype TPQWR for his GAS Comp 15D1.

An externally hosted image should be here but it is no longer accessible. Please upload images instead of linking to them to prevent this.

Keep us updated on the process! You must be proud of your son! Good to have someone as enthusiastic around I would think!

I looked at my old comments and found that the RCF LF18G401 delivers a far more flat response. Only downside I see about the driver is the lower xmax, but from what I've seen in your videos, xmax shouldn't really be a concern with this cab. So I like to know if you could point out any other weakness with this driver? I am no shark with speaker parameters, and know very little about how they influence the performance. And perhaps you could say a bit more about the driver in this cab, since you've been playing around with this type of cab for some time!

The reason why I'd like a flatter response is from what BesPav have said. That the cab didn't sound as well without eq. I know some have already pointed out that one shouldn't care so much about a couple of dBs, but in my opinion, a flat response is a very good start with any cab, and I'll care about it anyway :P
Old 3rd January 2018, 12:03 AM   #168
Grymer is offline Grymer
diyAudio Member

I would really love to help develop this cab. I feel like it has so much potential, but don't really know how to join in. And also. I'm focusing on the Roar18, and the thing is just so expensive to make multiple of (If only for testing and evaluating) How do you do it?

Also - If we just go for best possible sound quality and frequency response (Especially in the lower frequencies. Do you reckon any of these 45 degree panels would help? The ones I am particularly interested in are the ones that are next to the baffle at the far back of the cab, and the other is when the horns join up.

Old 3rd January 2018, 02:51 PM   #169
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Do you reckon adding 45 degree plates in every 90 degree corner would help avoid sudden rises in horn-path-size would increase efficiency in the lower region?
No, I don't think it would help. My experience points to the opposite. You don't want to loose volume in the bends.

Quote:
I would really love to help develop this cab. I feel like it has so much potential, but don't really know how to join in
Build something and measure and listen. I am tempted to build a very small TPQWR with one of my small cute SB-Acoustics 4 inch SB12PAC25-4 drivers 4" SB12PAC25-4 :: SB Acoustics
It is a really cheap but nice little driver with nice specs and a stiff aluminum cone.
Suitable for a small TPQWR for a computer sound system or kitchen stereo.

I have been simulating, building, testing and fooling around with this type of design for two years now, but it actually just gets me more confused and dumbfounded for each build. It does not really behave like I expected it to. I am pleasantly surprised by better then expected performance.

Regards,
Johannes
Old 3rd January 2018, 11:14 PM   #170
BP1Fanatic is offline BP1Fanatic  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:

I like simplicity of that design. I see laying the enclosure in it's current position for car audio and standing it up for home or pro audio. I like the mounting access too.

ROAR18Hide this!Advertise here!