TC Sounds TC2+ subwoofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Does anyone have experience with TC Sounds subwoofers?

TC Sounds only sell in quantity (50+) but the 12" TC2+ is now available to DIYers from O Audio

How would this driver stack up against other high excursion 12" subwoofers?

Application is to assist full range speakers with clean accurate bass for music reproduction.

I'm using a "budget" 15" from TC in a 3.5^3ft sealed enclosure. It's not optimal, but the bass is tight and clean. When I complete my home theater, I'll be using 4 of them in an IB configuration. A guy at Home Theater Talk is using the same drivers in an IB and a larger sealed box. He says both sound great.

I like the sound so much I just purchased a pair of Stryke AV12's (used) which are OEMed by TC. They are a step above the TC2+ with about 24mm xmax. I've read nothing but good things in other forums about this driver.

TC Sounds also supplies most subs for Eclipse car audio. They supply the drivers for SV Subwoofers PC+, Ultra and SS lines. Their standard driver was once supplied by Destijl Engineering/Resonant Engineering but I'm not sure of the supplier. And they were the supplier for E Design Audio. There were some problems with the flat panel subs so ED is going back to a conventional cone. I don't know if they are still using TC though.

Based on all of this, I have bookmarked O Audio and will be ordering subs from them in the future.

-Robert

tktran said:
Hi,

Does anyone have experience with TC Sounds subwoofers?

TC Sounds only sell in quantity (50+) but the 12" TC2+ is now available to DIYers from O Audio

How would this driver stack up against other high excursion 12" subwoofers?

Application is to assist full range speakers with clean accurate bass for music reproduction.

I haven't heard these, but you can check the specs on the TC Sounds website. I like the fact they're using copper shorting rings in the motor on the TC2+.

The Stryke AV12 has got more throw, but I don't think includes the shorting rings for lower distortion.

The Sadhara (S12) driver from Adire Audio is probably better yet in that regard, but is also more than twice the cost of the TC2+. My next set of speakers is going to use a TC2+ in both the left and right channels to cover below 60Hz.

TC2+ and TC9 Drivers Availalbe

> How would [TC drivers] stack up against other high excursion 12" subwoofers?

TC drivers are known for accurate and low distortion production, in other words excellent sound quality. But of course, a question like yours cannot be given a simple answer. Applications vary and depending on the DIY enthusiast's experience, one can tailor a driver to their personal preference with greater ease than another and even then, a hundred ways inbetween :D

I've heard (and sell) TC drivers, and find them to produce a very clean and tight sound. If you're interested in the TC2+, they will be available in roughly 2-3 weeks from my site at www.soundsplinter.com well below any currently listed prices on the net - I will also be offering a higher grade line built on the TC9 motor. My goal in opening is to offer some outstanding prices in efforts to help build my name since I know breaking into the audio market can be a difficult thing. If you want to take a look at my page in progress, check out www.soundsplinter.com/index_new.html and feel free to contact me with any questions you might have.

Good luck on your project :)

I just ordered 4 of these for use in a pair of dipoles I will be building. They've gotten excellent reviews by Jon Marsh, Paul Hilgeman, ThomasW and a few others lately. Very clean output all the way up to 1.4khz (their first breakup mode). Do a search on this site for "Arvo Part" and you will come across more info about them.

O Audio is located in Texas and were quite responsive to my inquiries. I had them shipped to me via the slow boat to save on the much higher shipping costs that prevail to Hawaii--so it will be later this summer when I will start posting the results of my project. Imagine you'll be able to find out a lot more in the meantime by the profusion of helpful souls here on this site.

BTW, I chose the TC2+ over the Stryke AV12s (have availability issues), Peerless XLS and Adire DPL12 (although these are all great woofers by any means). Low(er) distortion, still high (19mm) xmax, reasonable cost ($165) and aluminum cones (good idea with Hawaiian humidity...) were my main reasons for choosing them.

---Jeff in Hawaii:cool:

We've been experimenting with the 12-TC2+ for a number of weeks now. It's certainly the 'cleanest' 12" driver we've tested.

The fact that the first cone breakup mode is ~1.4kHz, makes it a natural for an extremely smooth transition to a midbass driver.

We purchase quite a few of these drivers from Todd at O-Audio. His customer service has been outstanding. I certainly recommend Todd and his company to anyone interested in obtaining this driver.

Yeap the TC2+ is the driver you want. We've been using it as a "woofer" in an all dipole 3-way system. It works very well with a 175Hz XO point.

We're currently testing to see how linear (pistonic) they are when XOed as high as 600Hz. The goal is to mate them with the larger B&G RD series planar drivers. Lookout Gilmore Audio ...... :)

Yup, we're pretty impressed with the performance and range of the TC2+; it's a nice blend of characteristics, including somewhat reasonable sensitivity, very low distortion in the first +/- 10mm of travel, and an extended top end by "subwoofer" standards.

Besides, it looks cool! :D

APS03.jpg

AP2S04.jpg

~Jon

I think robert J was talking about me-I bought 3(15")TC sounds subs and made a 4 ft^3 box with 260 watt plate amp for my step daughters stereo/gift-the other 2 went into an IB manifold for me with about 260 watts EACH-I used them for about 6 months and recently replaced them with 4 dayton/PE 15 IBs-the only reason was because I wanted more output and couldn't get 2 more woofers like the ones I had(they were made from "spare" parts IIRC)-the TC woofers are very good-high quality pieces-the ones I had never bottomed out(at least not on the VC-the daytons will easily-with less power) I actually don't get much more peak output now(most improvement was below 30Hz) but the daytons have a slightly lower QTS and FS which is more desirable for IB-IMO

I still have them...don't know what I'm going to do with them

TC2+ is a Stryke AV series

Hello,

I bought four 15" TC2+ direct from TC Sounds at a fixed price auction (oxymoron!) at www.audiohole.com. I'm going to be using them in a H-frame dipole setup. I've heard nothing but fabulous things about them.

Oh, and they ARE the Stryke AV series. No differences. However, the AV15 sold by Stryke is the Mark II which incorporates some advances since the original Mark I TC2+, which I bought as NOS from audiohole. I spoke with TC Sounds and he said they're identical enough to be able to mix and match with no worries.

cheers,

-tal

Mr. John Janowitz, proprietor of Stryke audio (soon to become Acoustic Elegance), is warning against purchasing the 15" drivers that TC Sounds is marketing as the AV15. These are the older, single-spider version of the driver. While the single spider was good enough to support the 12" cone and VC former, in the case of the 15" cone there were serious "rocking" issues where the mass of the cone and the voice coil former is not adequately suspended by the spider. John warns that these drivers that TC is selling have a nearly 50% failure rate. :whazzat: John has tried to get TC sounds to stop putting his name (Stryke) with those drivers but TC Sounds has not complied. John is moving to build his own speaker drivers in his shop, and is terminating his relationship with TC Sounds.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.