Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Aperiodic WAF Friendly Bandpass Subwoofer
Aperiodic WAF Friendly Bandpass Subwoofer
Aperiodic WAF Friendly Bandpass Subwoofer Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th March 2017, 08:40 PM   #1
Patrick Bateman is offline Patrick Bateman  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Aperiodic WAF Friendly Bandpass Subwoofer

Seven years ago I made an infrasonic sub that didn't work too well (Night of The Living Bassheads)

I wanted to take another crack at it.

This sub will use a few innovations I've learned from this forum:

1) aperiodic loading
2) KEF style elastometric braces
3) 3D printed roundovers
4) push-pull loading
Old 16th March 2017, 08:47 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I've built a ton of horns over the years. I love the way they sound, but they're a p.i.t.a. to build, and they tend to force the builder to build boxes. IE, even though I'm good at making things in 3D, it's difficult to fold a bass horn into a shape that's not a box. I once tried making a circular horn in 3D and gave up in frustration after wasting an afternoon.

Click the image to open in full size.
Over at data-bass, they demonstrated that even a lowly sealed box can compete with horns IF you have a LOT of displacement and a REALLY big box. The Stereo Integrity HS-24 puts up numbers that are competitive with horns. (The graph above shows the maximum output of the SI HS-24 versus a Danley DTS-10 tapped horn.)

Inspired by that, I decided to dust off a pair of TC Sounds fifteens that have been gathering dust for ages.

push-pull loading

Old 16th March 2017, 08:50 PM   #3
adason is offline adason  United States
diyAudio Member

it may sound great, but sure does not look WAF friendly
Old 16th March 2017, 09:03 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Here's a comparison of the output of the woofers in a sealed box, versus the same woofers in a bandpass box. Basically the bandpass box lowers the F3 by about half an octave. (I could tune it higher for more output, but I'm designing this to be infrasonic.)

The reason that the sub needs to be a weird shape is because I hide my subs behind my couch. Basically I have a two couches, and I want one sub behind each. In the photo above, there's a sub tucked into that corner.

I also want to move that ugly cat scratcher behind the couch, on top of the sub. So that it's not the first thing you see when you walk into my house.
Old 16th March 2017, 09:07 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Oh, another neat thing I stumbled upon:

I discovered this on a woodworking forum. This stuff sticks to ANYTHING. I started using it for the oddest reason - I had a bunch of dark furniture and it was clashing with the white shutters in my new home. But I found that it's not just great for painting things, it's also great for subwoofers. The reason it's awesome, besides the fact that it sticks to anything, is that you can SAND it. This really goes a long way towards achieving a nice finish. That end table in the left of the picture was black when I bought it; a single coat of this stuff turned it white.
Old 18th March 2017, 02:21 AM   #6
BP1Fanatic is offline BP1Fanatic  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
Here's a comparison of the output of the woofers in a sealed box, versus the same woofers in a bandpass box. Basically the bandpass box lowers the F3 by about half an octave. (I could tune it higher for more output, but I'm designing this to be infrasonic).
I say Bring The Noise...
Bass! How low can you go?
Death row, what a brother knows
Once again, back is the incredible
The rhyme animal
The uncannable D, Public Enemy Number One!

Aperiodic WAF Friendly Bandpass SubwooferHide this!Advertise here!