Aperiodic WAF Friendly Bandpass Subwoofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've built a ton of horns over the years. I love the way they sound, but they're a p.i.t.a. to build, and they tend to force the builder to build boxes. IE, even though I'm good at making things in 3D, it's difficult to fold a bass horn into a shape that's not a box. I once tried making a circular horn in 3D and gave up in frustration after wasting an afternoon.

ATHPQn9.png

Over at data-bass, they demonstrated that even a lowly sealed box can compete with horns IF you have a LOT of displacement and a REALLY big box. The Stereo Integrity HS-24 puts up numbers that are competitive with horns. (The graph above shows the maximum output of the SI HS-24 versus a Danley DTS-10 tapped horn.)

Inspired by that, I decided to dust off a pair of TC Sounds fifteens that have been gathering dust for ages.

7TPvLYN.jpg

eCJOQc5.jpg

push-pull loading

rpQMfIn.jpg

POKvZjL.jpg

Here's a comparison of the output of the woofers in a sealed box, versus the same woofers in a bandpass box. Basically the bandpass box lowers the F3 by about half an octave. (I could tune it higher for more output, but I'm designing this to be infrasonic.)

ixd4SX4.jpg

The reason that the sub needs to be a weird shape is because I hide my subs behind my couch. Basically I have a two couches, and I want one sub behind each. In the photo above, there's a sub tucked into that corner.

I also want to move that ugly cat scratcher behind the couch, on top of the sub. So that it's not the first thing you see when you walk into my house.

Oh, another neat thing I stumbled upon:

e99dc526-2a42-47c9-b3fb-1e7e2d79b806_1000.jpg

I discovered this on a woodworking forum. This stuff sticks to ANYTHING. I started using it for the oddest reason - I had a bunch of dark furniture and it was clashing with the white shutters in my new home. But I found that it's not just great for painting things, it's also great for subwoofers. The reason it's awesome, besides the fact that it sticks to anything, is that you can SAND it. This really goes a long way towards achieving a nice finish. That end table in the left of the picture was black when I bought it; a single coat of this stuff turned it white.

POKvZjL.jpg

Here's a comparison of the output of the woofers in a sealed box, versus the same woofers in a bandpass box. Basically the bandpass box lowers the F3 by about half an octave. (I could tune it higher for more output, but I'm designing this to be infrasonic).

I say Bring The Noise...
Bass! How low can you go?
Death row, what a brother knows
Once again, back is the incredible
The rhyme animal
The uncannable D, Public Enemy Number One!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.