A bit off the DIY theme, but the best bass I ever heard was...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Aunkst said:
I have heard that the human body has a resonent freq of about 8hz. would you agree?. any way I assume that is why you feel sick around earthquakes and HUGE subwoofers. your body is begining to resonate with the sound wave.

The legendary Brown Noise is the high-volume low frequency note that is supposed to make anyone within its range immediately evacuate their bowels. This may or may not be related to Pete Mazz's experience.

Re: Re: A bit off the DIY theme, but the best bass I ever heard was...

BrianGT said:

What about sitting inside one of those stupid vehicles made for SPL competitions, during the demo... 173.3 dB SPL would probably cause permenant brain damage, which is probably why people continue to do those competitions.'

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pio/pe/images/portal/cit_3430/54248180Amps-Big.jpg
"A total of 36 amplifiers stacked over a bed of 72 Turbo Start batteries produce approximately 115,200 Watts of power."

=
--
Brian

36? HA, heres 72 amps.
http://www.ampleaudio.com/showvehicle31.html

BobEllis said:
You want loud, join the military. :cool:
No kidding. I got two private pilot's licenses through the Royal Canadian Air Cadets when I was 15 and 16, and we often did our training at various Canadian Forces facilities. One of the instructors was buddy with an F/A-18 pilot who was also training in the area, and arranged a fly-by for us on one of our training days at the airfield... I was standing at the edge of a paved runway, while the F-18 came in from several miles distance about 50-100ft off the deck. I only just caught the glint off his canopy as he dropped out of sight on the horizon. Before long, he came screaming in, straight down the centerline of the runway. He wasn't supersonic, but he must have been real close, since all you could hear as the jet approached was a quiet, very high pitched hiss. I'll bet most of the sound waves were pushed well up into the ultrasonic range, and couldn't be heard at all. As he came past, he was so close, I could actually see the pilot's face (for an instant), but I didn't really hear anything until he was actually well past me, and then WHAM!!! :bigeyes: Unbelievable earth-shaking, gut vibrating noise! The pilot pulled up into a steep climb, leaving contrails off the wingtips and root extensions, then disappeared up into the clouds. Man, that was cool, especially for a 15 year old. :cool:

I've also been airlifted from CFB Penhold to CFB Cold Lake in the back of a C130. Without any cargo, those things can really haul @$$!! Talk about an ear-popping climb rate. But the noise was intolerable, even with earplugs. I was glad to get off when we landed.

About the SPL competition thing being useless to the common audiophile---- this is simply NOT true.
Although you may not agree with their intentions, their extreme hobby has contributed to MANY of the improvements in large-excursion subwoofers. If I am not mistaken, almost all of the large-scale subwoofers (Tumult, Titanic, etc etc) have come from car audio related comings. I believe most of the large excursion subs have come from car audio, as well as dual spiders and bigger and better voice coils, etc. ;)

Re: 10 second thunder thump?

Coolin said:
I once heard thunder early in the mornign and i woke up from it. The sond lasted extremely long, like mabey 10 seconds. I have never heard it like that before. Im still puzzled how all that sound energy managed to last that long.
SNIP
Ive heard of temp. and humidity effecting these things. Its posible that sound passes over some housing or whatever and to land behind it. Could it be the sound was launched almost verticaly and came down almost verticaly ? Thus creating an time delay phenomenon?

Coolin

Hi Coolin,

There are basically two types of lightning, Cloud to ground (seen as bolts) and cloud to cloud (sheet lightning). Sheet lightning is actually bolts as well but it is obscured by the clouds so appears as sheet of light.

While the entire bolt basically happens at once, how long the bolt is and where you are in relation to it determines how long and how intense it is due to the time delay of the sound. For example, if it is sheet lightning bolt is 10 miles long and if you are at one end of it, the sound from the far end will take a lot longer to get to you. Also if you have multiple lightning strikes, it will simply compound the effect, including the Dopler effect of which you speak.

Cal

The most amazing bass I have ever heard has been the times I've gone to see the Space Shuttle launch. In fact I'll never forget the first time the shuttle was lanched. My family lived about 45 miles away from Kennedy up US1. They didnt use water to dampen the sound, and when it launched it rattled the entire house for a good minute or so. My little brother hid in the kitchen cabinets, we had broken windows, pictures fell off the wall etc.

These derogatory comments toward spl competition just show the true face of most home audiophile types.

Personally, I'd rather hang out with spl guys any day. I havent met one that tries to put down others for their interests and hobbies. But I guess being an audiophile elitist entitles you to be a pr1ck:rolleyes:

Jeremy,

I know I wasn't bashing SPL guys just, the more general population being, that most agree with "Adire audio sucks, I've never heard them before." Hey! Now that's where I draw the line. If you haven't heard about a company then investigate, explore, and leanr about them; don't bash them.

Honestly, I wouldn't care who I hang around; chances are that if they are on diyaudio, we'll be friends before you can say, switch on the power-amps tito.

PS, Unfortunately, I've met only the worst of the SPL boys who say I haven't an idea what REAL specs are...I mention T/S...and they run and hide.

JeremyD said:
These derogatory comments toward spl competition just show the true face of most home audiophile types.

Personally, I'd rather hang out with spl guys any day. I havent met one that tries to put down others for their interests and hobbies. But I guess being an audiophile elitist entitles you to be a pr1ck:rolleyes:

Hi JeremyD,

1. Audiophiles are interested in music, not spl and don't understand what it is you're trying to accomplish.

2. It's fine to hang out with the spl guys. Hang out with whomever you want.

3. People who like to hear music over a system aren't *****s, I think they have trouble understanding using all that great stuff for well...er...um...ah...spl.

4. My question is: If the idea is to blow apart the spots welds on the chassis, why not use pneumatic systems. Wouldn't that be excellent? Can you imagine what might happen to a Ford Pinto? :smash:

Respectfully yours,
Cal Weldon;)

Cal Weldon said:

Hi JeremyD,

1. Audiophiles are interested in music, not spl and don't understand what it is you're trying to accomplish.

2. It's fine to hang out with the spl guys. Hang out with whomever you want.

3. People who like to hear music over a system aren't *****s, I think they have trouble understanding using all that great stuff for well...er...um...ah...spl.

4. My question is: If the idea is to blow apart the spots welds on the chassis, why not use pneumatic systems. Wouldn't that be excellent? Can you imagine what might happen to a Ford Pinto? :smash:

Respectfully yours,
Cal Weldon;)

1. I would think that most guys who can calculate zobels and x-overs in their heads could UNDERSTAND what spl guys are trying to do; try to make the vehicle as loud as possible.

2. My mommy agrees with you.

3. I like to listen to music as well. Infact its one of my favorite hobbies. Cant say I disagree. I never said people who like to listen to music. I said people who put down spl guys are real pr1cks. You'll never hear an spl guy put down audiophiles. It just doesnt happen. On the whole, those people involved in spl competition are far more friendly than most audiophile types. I've seen far more people at competitions help out people they dont even know giving not only their time, but trying to teach newcomers all they can. Sadly, I havent met many audiophiles that would do the same. Even when asking a simple question about someones design on here often yeilds a snappy and atitude-sh answer.

4. Once again refer to #1. Its not about blwoing soething up. Its about getting loud. I love how people who like to downplay spl claim its so easy. Give it a try then tell me its easy ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.