Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Vintage JBL for subwofer
Vintage JBL for subwofer
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th March 2017, 09:03 PM   #21
academia50 is offline academia50  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentoronto View Post
Be skeptical (esp for LPs) until you've actually seen those low notes on a real-time analyzer such as included in REW (free or honourware).

B.

Is that I do not need the spectrum analyzer, I hear these deep notes perfectly (not 16 hz, of course)
Old 18th March 2017, 10:08 PM   #22
bentoronto is offline bentoronto  Canada
diyAudio Member

Vintage JBL for subwofer
Quote:
Originally Posted by academia50 View Post

Is that I do not need the spectrum analyzer, I hear these deep notes perfectly (not 16 hz, of course)
It is beyond my poor powers of explanation to reply your reply in any productive manner. Except to suggest you try a real-time analyzer, just in the odd chance you hear not as "perfectly" as you think you do. Just a thought, eh.

Ben
Old 19th March 2017, 06:02 AM   #23
jazbo8 is offline jazbo8
diyAudio Moderator

Vintage JBL for subwofer
Quote:
But they are products for PA, and something expensive for the investment I want to make at the moment ...
You don't need that much power for home use, try the smallest one they make, I think it's called the NU1000DSP. I doubt you can build one for less money nor have the DSP feature.
Old 19th March 2017, 08:10 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazbo8 View Post
You don't need that much power for home use, try the smallest one they make, I think it's called the NU1000DSP. I doubt you can build one for less money nor have the DSP feature.

Thank you , this model offers everything I need and more ......
Just a doubt, and I ask again all those who can explain this to me:
The higher the load in class AB, the lower power.
Is it the same in class D?
Or put another way, can I connect my vintage JBL 8 ohms nominally without problems? Can I even increase the load with high heat dissipation resistors to reduce the risk of damaging the speakers? (This increases the distortion, but at these frequencies I do not think they are audible)
I am going to consult the seller (they are not usually very technically informed) so I would like to clarify the point with people of this forum, thanks again !

Behringer Inuke Nu1000dsp Potencia 1000w - $ 9.310,00 en Mercado Libre
Old 19th March 2017, 08:37 PM   #25
bentoronto is offline bentoronto  Canada
diyAudio Member

Vintage JBL for subwofer
Quote:
The higher the load in class AB, the lower power.
Is it the same in class D?
Amps operate according to their internal voltage level (and sort of secondarily for present purposes, on the current in storage internally).

So if they have say, 30 volts (sort of RMS....), that's all they can pump out (assuming for present purposes that they don't run out of current).

If you connect a 4-Ohm load, they can produce, so to speak, 30 volts into 4 Ohms which is 225 watts, let's say.

if you connect an 8-Ohm load, that's 30 volts into 8 Ohms or 112 watts*.

Not the whole story but enough of the story for the amp for a generic answer.

But what the driver produces as sound output is a partly different story.

Ben
*a speaker with 1% efficiency would soon destroy your hearing at 112 watts input
Old 19th March 2017, 09:09 PM   #26
Fenalaar is offline Fenalaar  Norway
diyAudio Member

You don't want to add a resistor in the cirquit of a sub. A subwoofer in its frequency band will have an impedance that can vary from 4 ohms to 120 ohms, so a resistor will create a highly unlinear voltage divider.

You generally want the sub to be connected directly to the amp for maximum damping factor and control.

The iNuke has level controls, so turn down the senitivity so you can reach you max listening level and then some. That'll keep the damage potential down.

Johan-Kr
Old 20th March 2017, 09:11 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

bentoroto an Fenalaar

Thank you so much, I'll go after him then , there was no free lunch here, no sir .....
Old 21st March 2017, 11:43 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Grrrrrrr ........ there seems to be mutiny on board, WAF does not agree to keep spending money on these things and claims that I pay attention to their needs ......
Of course, how can I explain to her that I want to hear the first two octaves that I am missing after two years of building the best speaker in the world ?

It does not matter, as she lets me do it, but without investing more money in my "obsessive maniac", I return to the previous idea of using the junk that I have thought about this.
(See post 19 of this thread)
Comments ? Some major disadvantage (danger) that could blow everything up?

I Sorry, Plustek Optic Pro has not yet updated its drivers for Win 7, the last one was for Win 95 ...... I had gotten one in the informal lane for WinXP, but it does not work either plus ....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pasa bajos para el sistema stereo y HT.JPG (392.4 KB, 125 views)

Last edited by academia50; 21st March 2017 at 11:47 PM.
Old 22nd March 2017, 01:43 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Forget this, the subwoofer cutting frequency is 90 hertz ....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (329.8 KB, 120 views)
Old 22nd March 2017, 03:40 PM   #30
bjorno is offline bjorno  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to bjorno
Default JBL-LE14A

Hi All,

FYI:

b
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JBL-LE14A_calc.JPG (945.9 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg JBL-LE14A_T-TQWT.JPG (171.9 KB, 114 views)

Vintage JBL for subwoferHide this!Advertise here!