Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Debating another subwoofer design...
Debating another subwoofer design...
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th February 2017, 02:37 AM   #1
Brian Steele is offline Brian Steele  Grenada
diyAudio Member

Default Debating another subwoofer design...

I'm trying to get the best of a few worlds here...

The TH alignment has some advantages, and one in particular for me is that the driver's magnet ends up in what's probably the best location for cooling. At the lowest resonance frequency, when the driver's cone is brought basically to a standstill, there's still a huge amount of air flowing back and forth across the magnet structure. On the negative side, as it's a 1/4 wave resonator system, the lower that you want to go, the larger the TH has to be to accommodate the extra path length, and of course there's all that stuff that's going on above the upper resonance frequency.

The vented alignment also has its advantages, particularly the smaller box requirements and the ability to achieve a lower resonance frequency without significantly impacting box size. However cooling and power compression can both be issues that restrict it at higher power levels.

Enter this design I'm thinking about. It places the driver in the vent (like a TH), but instead of using an expanding path, it's basically a box that's vented using a "butterfly" type vent. This type of vent should help to keep the output linear at higher SPL levels, and it should be possible to achieve a lower Fb in the same box size compared to a TH, and hopefully the response above 100 Hz or so is not significantly impacted. Yes, it does a bit like a Cubo, but to me a Cubo looks basically like a BVR and should suffer from the same issues as a BVR. Using a butterfly vent should address those issues.

What do you think? Viable? I haven't started crunching any numbers yet - I need to find a suitable driver first .
Attached Images
File Type: png 20170205-vented.png (11.7 KB, 157 views)
Old 6th February 2017, 04:52 AM   #2
just a guy is offline just a guy  Canada
diyAudio Member

I've been looking at almost the same thing recently. Same style of flared port style as the Danley ported box.

The difference is that I don't need any cooling benefits since I'm looking at very low tuning and very little power required. I'll try a sim with the driver in the mouth like you show here. Probably not soon though, my laptop fan is dying and I'm overheating.
Old 6th February 2017, 10:32 AM   #3
Zero D is offline Zero D  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Watching
Old 6th February 2017, 12:25 PM   #4
Zero D is offline Zero D  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Are you comparing a butterfly type vent with an hour glass type port ? Plus, if this is a reflex type design, the driver should be connected with reversed polarity, yes ? If not why ?
Old 7th February 2017, 12:39 AM   #5
snappyturtle is offline snappyturtle  United States
diyAudio Member

similar in style to the cubo subs, might be worth a look into. jl also did the fathom which is a ported design with the cone in the end of the port, think patrick bateman had a thread looking it over. but its very much viable.
  Reply to this post

Debating another subwoofer design...Hide this!Advertise here!