Faital Pro 18XL1800 sealed box

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I did a simulation with the Faital Pro 18XL1800 in a sealed box for home use. I plan to use in the 35-80/100Hz range. Opinion are welcome.

http://www.faitalpro.com/it/products/LF_Loudspeakers/product_details/datasheet.php?id=201070150

qeJCZdh.jpg

2Jv2ka3.jpg

Last edited:
The SPL plot has some signs of being a vented box to me...

If not (and is closed box as you say) then what is giving rise to the large spikes in SPL around 450Hz and 900Hz? These look to me to be port resonances...

Driver specs seem to be a little misleading. X Damage (peak to peak) is shown as 36 mm (18mm one-way excursion at the onset of "damage") but "Xmax" is quoted as 20mm??? Must be the ol "peak to peak Xmax" trick! Seems to be a discrepancy... 20mm Xmax would be kinda special. 10mm, not so much.

Last edited:
The 450 and 900 he resonances are the reason you put fiberglass inside a speaker enclosure. Hornresp attempts to model all resonances, not just the fundamental one(s). Change Lrc and they move. In the real world with losses, they are never as strong as the sims suggest. But you can see some sign of one at 350 hz in the raw driver data. Both FR and impedance are affected. Could be the frame, or the surround moding, but it's just as likely the test enclosure. I've seen some manufacturer data explicitly state that bumps in the 200-800 hz range are due to the box.

what is giving rise to the large spikes in SPL around 450Hz and 900Hz?

The closed-box enclosure depth Lrc is specified as 37 cm. Hornresp assumes that the velocity of sound in air is 344 metres per second, meaning that the box depth behind the driver represents a half-wavelength at 465Hz and a full wavelength at 930Hz, giving rise to the two spikes shown in the response. The spikes can be removed by choosing the 'Resonances Masked' option or by increasing the thickness of the acoustical lining. Setting Tal = 15 cm for example, will completely dampen out the spikes.

The SPL plot has some signs of being a vented box to me...

If not (and is closed box as you say) then what is giving rise to the large spikes in SPL around 450Hz and 900Hz? These look to me to be port resonances...

Driver specs seem to be a little misleading. X Damage (peak to peak) is shown as 36 mm (18mm one-way excursion at the onset of "damage") but "Xmax" is quoted as 20mm??? Must be the ol "peak to peak Xmax" trick! Seems to be a discrepancy... 20mm Xmax would be kinda special. 10mm, not so much.

Both excursion figures are one-way. I've had my eye on those drivers for a little while - one in a BR box ought to cheerfully annihilate a pair of 2x18" cabs with old-school drivers. Impressive stuff. A TH would be another world of fun.

Chris

Well a quick search does seem to indicate that this is a high excursion pro driver. AV: FaitalPRO Introduces 18XL1800 High-Excursion, Neodymium Cone Woofer - Pro Sound Web

But I'd like to see Klippels or a data-bass measurement before making any decisions on a $665 driver. Faital Pro 18XL1800 18" High Power Subwoofer Speakers - Faital Pro 18XL1800 18" for ported bass reflex subwoofer speaker cabinets. Lightweight neodymium magnet - Faital Pro 18XL1800 3600 watt high power woofer

If it's pure low bass you want sometimes these expensive high excursion pro type drivers are not the best choice (assuming money is an issue). Similar high excursion pro type drivers like the BMS and TC 5100 as measured by data-bass are beat out in the bass frequencies by the lowly $260 Dayton Ultimax which has similar published xmax.

Of course it depends which frequency range you are more interested in - the pro drivers will kick butt in the midbass but can't quite hang with the Ultimax in the low bass.

And of course the Ultimax is the cheapest first step into the world of ultra high excursion driver class, there's many more options that will move a lot more air if you want to spend more money.

Both excursion figures are one-way. I've had my eye on those drivers for a little while - one in a BR box ought to cheerfully annihilate a pair of 2x18" cabs with old-school drivers. Impressive stuff. A TH would be another world of fun.

Chris
Ah, so they are (one way excursion figures). Wow, that is impressive for a pro driver. Interesting. Still (for me) $665 is not chump change I have lying around! But as of right now there is one on Ebay for $495 OBO located in NJ and supposedly "new"...

I got the "damage" spec being peak-to-peak when I looked up the driver at usspeaker but the MFG data sheet makes these numbers more clear. Looks like usspeaker info is wrong.

You can't go wrong with the Faïtal Pro 18XL1800. I would choose this driver over the 18" Ultimax without a doubt for 25Hz and up. Not in the same league. I built a couple of sealed Ultimax"s and many with 21" and 18" pro drivers ( B&C, Beyma, Faïtal Pro, Max Fidelity ). I presume you go active with EQ.

I'm open to suggestion. The interesting point on the Faital is the high efficieny 95dB that if used in a sealed box is a good point. Faital mms is a third of Ultimax , cms is the same , 18xl1800 has higher Bl. I don`'t need to go lower than 30-35hz possibly clean and fast but up until 80-100hz.
The best price is found here :
Faital pro 18xl1800

Efficiency doesn't mean much in a sealed box. It's 85dB at 20Hz. What matters is having lots of linear travel and a motor that can sink a lot of power without complaining.

One of my local suppliers can get them for just under £400, and one of those drivers has 2.5x the volume displacement of my good 15"s. Its very tempting to sell all the 15"s and get a couple of those.

Chris

Edit - just noticed that the 18XL1800 has plenty of Xmax, but the cone is actually quite small for an 18", so the volume displacement isn't that far off the other top-end pro 18"s.

Last edited:

Chris

Yes a lot of fun with 2 x TH with this drivers. :)

Attachments

• 2016_121718xl18000020.jpg
    2016_121718xl18000020.jpg
    507.9 KB · Views: 693
  • 2016_121718xl18000022.jpg
    2016_121718xl18000022.jpg
    547.6 KB · Views: 666
  • 2016_121718xl18000018.jpg
    2016_121718xl18000018.jpg
    646.2 KB · Views: 1,056
You can't go wrong with the Faïtal Pro 18XL1800. I would choose this driver over the 18" Ultimax without a doubt for 25Hz and up. Not in the same league. I built a couple of sealed Ultimax"s and many with 21" and 18" pro drivers ( B&C, Beyma, Faïtal Pro, Max Fidelity ). I presume you go active with EQ.

Yes I`'ll will go active with less eq as possible. I wrote Faital Pro asking about volume , they suggested 180L with Qtc 0,583 just as indication but then everybody has his own opinion about good sound.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.