Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Faital Pro 18XL1800 sealed box
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th January 2017, 10:54 PM   #31
manninen is offline manninen  Finland
diyAudio Member

An externally hosted image should be here but it is no longer accessible. Please upload images instead of linking to them to prevent this.

sorry i have only mug-in-my hand photoshop, but shortly we had christmas party, played music something like 10hours, just hitting those mugs down and watching rap hitting limiters
Old 27th January 2017, 11:06 PM   #32
Scott L is offline Scott L  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentoronto View Post
Wouldn't it be more meaningful for you to say "small sealed... for mid-bass" since big boxes will not impair driver Fs as much.

B.
Yes.
Old 27th January 2017, 11:11 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Another ill-considered design exercise based on just followin' the sim?

A nice woofer with a high Bl, 4 inch VC, and lowish (but not great... because it is for PA rough usage) 29 Hz resonance, rather heavy cone (a cone weighing more than half pound, .6 pound to be more exact, is gross and "slow"). Then, obeying the sim, you stick it in a tiny box which drives the resonance way high out of any useful range (or you might say, right into an audible range where you don't want it to be).

Does that make sense?

Ben
No. I'm answering your question with a "NO, it does not make sense". Large, life-like bass needs large, life-sized enclosures.

Sorry, I don't mean to be curt, or short, it's just that my long explanations are rarely appreciated.
Old 27th January 2017, 11:11 PM   #34
just a guy is offline just a guy  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
In another thread, it turned out nobody could (or wanted to) post the maximum output they had observed from their amp at home (not to mention no one seemingly knowing consequently how loud that was on their SPL meter).
Wrong. Lots of people answered your question, just not in the way you wanted.

What is your point? A table side clock radio will play at max volume for a couple of days on a 9 volt battery. It doesn't need much voltage at all.

But if you want more than that you need more power.

While you can easily reach or exceed THX limits (105 db from the mains) with high efficiency speakers and an average AVR amp you need more for the subs.

To get the 115 db THX limit from the subs at 20 hz is going to require some voltage. And if you want to extend that down to 5 hz and increase it to 140 db (which is the new normal on some forums) you will need a LOT of voltage, especially if you want to use small enclosures.

As a group we are pretty aware of voltage requirements.
Old 28th January 2017, 12:09 AM   #35
patriz is offline patriz
diyAudio Member

The sim is just a start point, a new sim with 220L. and increased backwall damping has cleared out the box resonances in the graph. Diaphragm displacement at 30hz is 0,7mm.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 28th January 2017, 10:55 AM   #36
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriz View Post
The sim is just a start point, a new sim with 220L. and increased backwall damping has cleared out the box resonances in the graph. Diaphragm displacement at 30hz is 0,7mm.

Sir,
Are you 100% committed to using a sealed enclosure ?

FWIW, I went back through and read every single post of this thread. Many posters have made some excellent points, and there is also some needless bickering. You know, there is somewhat of a difference between a voltage SPL spec (aka sensitivity) verses true system efficiency.
Old 28th January 2017, 03:29 PM   #37
ZivkoF is offline ZivkoF  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

Quote:

I have sim for this driver for BR with (250L + 61L-BR = 313L) and it is quite linear 1Pi, 2.83V

19 Hz = 96,96 dB
100 Hz = 100,83 dB
Attached Images
File Type: png BR_6a.png (83.2 KB, 76 views)
File Type: png BR_6b.png (55.4 KB, 75 views)
File Type: png BR_6c.png (43.3 KB, 69 views)
File Type: png BR_6d.png (44.9 KB, 68 views)
Old 28th January 2017, 03:43 PM   #38
patriz is offline patriz
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZivkoF View Post
I have sim for this driver for BR with (250L + 61L-BR = 313L) and it is quite linear 1Pi, 2.83V

19 Hz = 96,96 dB
100 Hz = 100,83 dB
Very interesting design, similar to the one on eighteen sound site, which woofer did you used for the simulation? Have you built it?
Old 28th January 2017, 05:06 PM   #39
ZivkoF is offline ZivkoF  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Very interesting design, similar to the one on eighteen sound site, which woofer did you used for the simulation? Have you built it?

This is my own design I was using SketchUp8 program, sim have done for Faital 18XL1800 and for BMS 18N862 and for BC 18SW118 and for Faital 18XL1600 they are all good with almost the same frequency responce and SPL +/- 1 dB. I have 4 big TH subwoofers this design I have made for one of my friend, hope to built it this spring for him!

Faital Pro 18XL1800 sealed boxHide this!Advertise here!