Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Faital Pro 18XL1800 sealed box
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th January 2017, 01:56 PM   #21
manninen is online now manninen  Finland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZivkoF View Post
Yes a lot of fun with 2 x TH with this drivers.
your neigbours donīt share your fun
Old 27th January 2017, 03:30 PM   #22
markgolf is offline markgolf  United States
diyAudio Member

The price difference here with the BMS at us speakers is$50. I own the ultimax and am thinking of getting the BMS to compare .
Mark
Old 27th January 2017, 06:38 PM   #23
bentoronto is offline bentoronto  Canada
diyAudio Member

Another ill-considered design exercise based on just followin' the sim?

A nice woofer with a high Bl, 4 inch VC, and lowish (but not great... because it is for PA rough usage) 29 Hz resonance, rather heavy cone (a cone weighing more than half pound, .6 pound to be more exact, is gross and "slow"). Then, obeying the sim, you stick it in a tiny box which drives the resonance way high out of any useful range (or you might say, right into an audible range where you don't want it to be).

Does that make sense?

Ben

Last edited by bentoronto; 27th January 2017 at 06:46 PM.
Old 27th January 2017, 07:02 PM   #24
just a guy is offline just a guy  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentoronto View Post

A nice woofer with a high Bl, 4 inch VC, and lowish (but not great... because it is for PA rough usage) 29 Hz resonance, rather heavy cone (a cone weighing more than half pound, .6 pound to be more exact, is gross and "slow"). Then, obeying the sim, you stick it in a tiny box which drives the resonance way high out of any useful range (or you might say, right into an audible range where you don't want it to be).

Does that make sense?

Ben
Your analysis of the situation doesn't make sense.

Hornresp was used for this sim. In Hornresp if you don't manually fill in the blanks you have no sim. Therefore it's impossible to "follow" a Hornresp sim. How can you be led by a sim when you had to manually enter the dimensions and details?

What is "PA rough usage"? PA drivers are some of the finest you can buy.

A 0.6 lb moving mass is not "gross and slow", it's actually on the lighter side of useful for an 18 inch driver. If it doesn't have some strength it's going to deform, if it doesn't have some mass it won't have any strength. The motor is PLENTY strong enough to push the moving mass as fast as it needs to go and there's no high inductance issues so "fast" or "slow" will not be an issue. This cone will move EXACTLY as fast as it needs to go.

The box size is a choice of the designer. The designer specified the box size, NOT the simulator. Therefore the designer is not following the simulator, the simulator is just doing what it's told, as always. In theory I would agree that bigger is almost always better but the designer gets a say too. If small size is a primary objective that's just the way it is and performance may suffer a bit because of that but the primary goals were accomplished anyway.
Old 27th January 2017, 09:51 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

tall winding for long xmax addīs weight.

i have 862īs in sealed and highest xo has been 110hz, for me thats the limit
Old 27th January 2017, 10:09 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manninen View Post
tall winding for long xmax addīs weight
A bit. Here're the facts.

AWG Copper Wire Size Table and Data Chart @ 100 Degrees F | Engineers Edge

But you also need to have an understanding of just how much travel you need in your driver. In another thread, it turned out nobody could (or wanted to) post the maximum output they had observed from their amp at home (not to mention no one seemingly knowing consequently how loud that was on their SPL meter).

Like the Lotus versus the Corvette, you can go for low resonance by having a supple suspension and light cone or a real heavy moving assembly and stiff suspension to keep it from self-destructing. Either approach has its legitimate application, but I know which I like for playing music at home (or driving, ahem).

B.

Last edited by bentoronto; 27th January 2017 at 10:14 PM.
Old 27th January 2017, 10:10 PM   #27
Scott L is offline Scott L  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Does that make sense?

Ben
My choice would be an 8 cubic foot enclosure tuned to 29Hz. That's right,
a vented enclosure would be best. Don't be skimpy about the port size, either !! Sealed enclosures are best suited for mid-bass applications.
Old 27th January 2017, 10:17 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott L View Post
Sealed enclosures are best suited for mid-bass applications.
Wouldn't it be more meaningful for you to say "small sealed... for mid-bass" since big boxes will not impair driver Fs as much.

B.
Old 27th January 2017, 10:20 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
A bit. Here're the facts.

AWG Copper Wire Size Table and Data Chart @ 100 Degrees F | Engineers Edge

But you also need to have an understanding of just how much travel you need in your driver. In another thread, it turned out nobody could (or wanted to) post the maximum output they had observed from their amp at home (not to mention no one seemingly knowing consequently how loud that was on their SPL meter).

Like the Lotus versus the Corvette, you can go for low resonance by having a supple suspension and light cone or a real heavy moving assembly and stiff suspension to keep it from self-destructing. Either approach has its legitimate application, but I know which I like for playing music at home (or driving, ahem).

B.
iīve gave all i got to my 862īs, thats 1,3kw @8ohm. they sounded bit stressed at somepoint
Old 27th January 2017, 10:45 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manninen View Post
iīve gave all i got to my 862īs, thats 1,3kw @8ohm. they sounded bit stressed at somepoint
1. Did you actually measure 100 vrms going into your 8-Ohm speaker with a measuring tool or are you just supposing it was full output?

2. Was that indoors in a home?

3. How loud was that?

4. Thought about having your hearing checked by an audiologist after the "test"?

B.

Faital Pro 18XL1800 sealed boxHide this!Advertise here!