High-end Sub/woofers comparison: Faital V.S. JL audio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Was curious about the PA drivers v.s. ''real'' high excursion subwoofers such as JL audio's, and finally tested this week end a single Faital pro 18FH500 in a 65 liters sealed enclosure against a pair of 10W7 in sealed 30 liters each. Bother ICEpowered with a 1000ASP and aggressively EQ'd in the 24-32hz, as i usually do.

Maybe i was a bit too optimistic about the 18FH500 (that was looking very promising on paper) but the pair of JL's really smashed the 18'' in the ropes. We're talking about a 88-92db in-room measurement for the Faital, before the mechanical/distortion noise kicks in, and between 99-104db for the pair of 10W7.

All using pure tones between 20hz and 30hz.

Despite his higher Fs, the 10W7 was really at ease in the first half of 1st octave. Effortless, controlled pistonic air-mover. Room pressurization, almost inaudible at 20-22hz (as it should) but that can be felt alright enough above 100db! :eek:

Once again, the JL audio impresses me.

Agreed, once pass the first octave, the 18FH500 qualities probably shows. But still, there is no substitute to a ''real'' subwoofer for the first octave, especially the 20-30hz region.

Attached : Rear chamber pressure sim comparison between faital in 65 liters VS 2xJL in serie in 65 liters. At 30hz, twice pressure for the faital, arround 107db for both, 50v.
=> In 65 liters, it just doesn't breathe healthily, and pressure mecanical problem.

I had never used hornresp for/like that before, but should be promising. Can someone confirm my explanation ? (it seems me counter intuitive, related to volume displaced should be equal for same acoustical power...?)

Attachments

• pressure.PNG
    pressure.PNG
    37.5 KB · Views: 452
18FH500 is NOT a subwoofer neither it is high end. It's a bass speaker. Now try a real subwoofer driver like the 18XL1800 or equivalent if you want a fair match . 100$ on the Faital. 4dB more headroom vs a pair of JLAudio in the same enclosure size at less than half the price.
40% less excursion at the same SPL.

2 x JLAudio 10W7: 1400$
1 x 18XL1800: 664$
1x 18HF500: 344$

2 x 18XL1800 would destroy the JLAudio for less money.

Last edited:
Attached : Rear chamber pressure sim comparison between faital in 65 liters VS 2xJL in serie in 65 liters. At 30hz, twice pressure for the faital, arround 107db for both, 50v.
=> In 65 liters, it just doesn't breathe healthily, and pressure mecanical problem.

I had never used hornresp for/like that before, but should be promising. Can someone confirm my explanation ? (it seems me counter intuitive, related to volume displaced should be equal for same acoustical power...?)

Hi papasteack,

What input parameter values are you using?

I get a different result to you for the two JL Audio 10W7-3 drivers connected in series.

Kind regards,

David

Attachments

• Attach_1.png
    Attach_1.png
    60.1 KB · Views: 270
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.