DVC Clarion subwoofer with dead voice coil

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys, I recently bought a subwoofer box, and the guy I bought it from was throwing away a Clarion WQ3010D subwoofer. He said that one voice coil was dead, so I took it home, tested it, and sure enough, one of the coils reads 0.6 ohms.

Question is, since the other voice coil is fine, is it worth it to build a box and use this subwoofer, or am I better off throwing it in the garbage instead of wasting my time?

Hi Saaif88.

Sounds like the coil is shorted. The shorted coil could be shorted to the good coil. Did you ohm out both coils (positive to positive and negative to negative). Is there any coil rub?

I wouldn't spend to much time on this subwoofer. If you already have a box for it then have at it.

Regards,
Matt

Hey thanks for the reply reloader,

I'm not sure what you mean, but the other coil seems fine. I tossed the subwoofer in a box, hooked up the good coil, and it does play fine. Granted, I'm not sure what "fine" is since I don't know how this is supposed to sound, but it doesn't sound terrible!

I might just toss it out or take it apart, the magnet might be fun to play with!

You're welcome.

I should have been more clear on my reply. Sorry. I will try and make better sense of this. Okay, so you have 2 coils of wire wound on the same former. The 2 coils should read open or several meg ohm between the coils of wire. So if you put one of your meter leads on the positive of coil #1, and the other meter lead on the positive of coil #2 you should read meg ohms or higher. Do the same with the negative side of the coils too. You should also check positive on coil #1 to negative on coil #2 and vice versa. Plus check all the terminals with one of the meter leads while the other is referenced to the top and or bottom plate of the motor assembly. Usually you can feel or hear the coil rubbing if there's a problem with the last check. Hope this was helpful.

Regards,
Matt

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.