Build MCM 15'' Die Cast Professional Subwoofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I got 02 of these drivers. Want to build a sub woofer for my home theater system.
Anyone can help me with a simple plan for this sub, preferably using 01 driver but it is ok to build with 02 ones. I plan to use with external amp (does not have no).

MCM Audio Select 15'' Die Cast Professional Woofer - 500W RMS | 55-2983 (552983) | MCM Audio Select

Thank you very much
First of all, the quality control on these drivers is not high, so as tb46 suggested you need to measure the TS parameters for the actual drivers that you have. They could be far from what the manufacturer has provided and you need to know these parameters to design an appropriate box.

Assuming the info posted on the product page is accurate, it looks like this driver will not make a good subwoofer. Fs and Qts are too high. Vas is about 4 cubic feet, meaning the box must be very large. Also, the Xmax is not very high for a subwoofer application. The best you could do with these drivers is to mount them in a wall with a large room behind it. Then you will get something like Q=0.5, Fc 50Hz. This is definitely not a subwoofer type response. If you use a box, Q and Fc will both go up and the response will be even more bass shy.

It looks like this driver was primarily designed to be loud (high efficiency) and that usually means bass extension has been sacrificed. This is just the reality of transducer design. If you want deep bass you need the right driver for that. This is not it.

Hi guys,

Thank you very much for your responses.
Actually I bought 04 of these drivers to use with my dipole speaker project, providing bass support to Coral Flat8 full range drivers via B5 active xover.

But then I just 02 drivers then thinking if I can use it as subwoofer for home theater. I could not effort for big size box. So I guess have to find another driver.

Anyway, your responses made me understanding more about subwoofer drivers, appreciate for that.

Bien

" I don't see how something with a 57Hz resonance frequency can serve as a subwoofer no matter what the loading method."

No problem with a tapped horn, or a Linkwitz transform.

Have you ever looked at a Velodyne?

A sealed system resonance up around 80hz with a transform (and their servo).

Bag End?

80hz sealed system with an 8hz integrator.

http://bagend.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/IPQUARTZ-R.pdf

With 2 drivers per box he can do push-pull for distortion reduction, and a small box with the appropriate EQ.

Last edited:
" I don't see how something with a 57Hz resonance frequency can serve as a subwoofer no matter what the loading method."

No problem with a tapped horn, or a Linkwitz transform.

Have you ever looked at a Velodyne?

A sealed system resonance up around 80hz with a transform (and their servo).

Bag End?

80hz sealed system with an 8hz integrator.

http://bagend.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/IPQUARTZ-R.pdf

With 2 drivers per box he can do push-pull for distortion reduction, and a small box with the appropriate EQ.

Maybe the Bag End approach (smallest box, Q>1.1), but you will need a ton of power to EQ up the low end.

If you put this in a modestly sized (for a 15" driver) box, the Fs and Q will go up. Fc might be 75-80Hz and Q 0.8. Sure then you can EQ it using an LT circuit, however, you still only have 6mm or so Xmax if you can trust the MFG data. This is not really a good subwoofer driver.

If the owner wants to employ these as open baffle woofers from 80-100Hz and up that would be a great way to make the best of these drivers. Then he can add subs for the lowest couple of octaves.

I get where you are coming from. I have an 18" pro driver that has 9.5mm Xmax, Fs=35Hz, and Qts=0.35. I need a huge box, an LT with some serious boost, and 500W of power even with its high efficiency. But this will have 4x the displacement of the 15... and has almost an octave lower Fs.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.