Please help with Simple-sh enclosure for single Lab-12

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've searched and am having trouble finding details on how to make the larger enclosure on eminences site. So if I make a 3.2 cubic foot box, square or prism, I need a 20 he steep high pass filter. Correct? I think I found some at hlabs.com, but is that the way to go?

Just for 2.1 music, mains are 1990 Klipsch Forte ii I bought new. In my unfinished 2 2 car garage that is my shop. The Klipshes still rock, but are bright, and I want to feel the bass of course.
Before I thought or learned much I bought the speaker and amp (Dayton spa 500- in case in the future I want to add another driver), and I listen mostly to rock and classical. Rarely super loud.

I'm pressed for time right now, so want something simple to build right now, and as I learn, and see how it works, I can determine future needs.
I can probably handle the "prism" option that eminence lists, but will likely make a pseudo rectangle with uneven sides/ backs/ fronts, to help acoustics but not have to mess with a complex build. I have tools and woodworking skills, just short on time right now
Do i need the filters? Do they just get hooked in between the amp and speaker?Are the ports eminence recommends good for my needs?

Other ideas for an enclosure that's not too difficult?

Thanks in advance for any input. Below is a link to the PDF from PE/eminence.
https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/more-info/290-570-eminence-lab-12-more-info.pdf

Best regards,

YankeeDespot

You don't need uneven dimensions to help acoustics. The dimensions are small compared to the wavelengths in the passband so making weird box shapes isn't going to do anything.

All the info about the high pass filter is right there in the pdf you linked. See how the excursion skyrockets below 25 hz? That's where the box no longer provides loading and it's like there's no box at all at low frequencies so the cone will bounce around wildly and damage the voice coil or rip the spider/surround.

If you don't have any notes below 25 hz in your music and/or you don't play it very loud you won't need a high pass filter. But if you do have notes below 25 hz and you play it at levels louder than normal conversation level you will need that high pass filter.

There are many choices for high pass filters. The Behringer DCX 2496 or any of the Mini Dsp units can be used for both the sub crossover, dsp and the high pass filter. Or you can get an amp will all this built in, like the Inuke series.

In a pinch you could use the eq in the SPA 500 as a crude high pass filter, although it's not nearly ideal. Set the frequency to a frequency below 25 hz (probably at the lowest available frequency) and set the bandwidth (filter q) fairly high and the level fairly low (maybe all the way down). This should keep you kinda safe until you can get a real high pass filter.

The 3.2 cu ft ported design looks reasonable. I don't like how high the port air velocity is, but it isn't clear whether that is with or without the high pass filter in place. I'd simulate it and maybe increase the port size while keeping the tuning the same (or adjusting the tuning if you want a different tuning).

Thanks so much to you guys for the quick and helpful replies. I'll order one of the filter options today- don't want to blow up my first sub! Especially without reckless volume levels. I've been reading the Pi website, and that stuff looks good. As a second gen Klipsch fan ( the old stuff- don't know if the new is as good) I'm partial to horns, and the 3 Pi sub looks fine. Of course, now I want to make a horn. And as a guitar player, I'd never play a SS amp. Will need to upgrade the old Denon to a tube amp.
Thanks again all.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.