The best CUSTOM driver ever for High-End Audiophile sub?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

In my quest for the ultimate high end sub, I came across the Danish firm Audio Technology. Their drivers seem top of the line...and here's the catch...one can specify quite a few parameters and they will manufacture it.

I plan to build two sealed subs, each with a single driver or two 8" or 10" drivers per sub.
I am looking at a cabinet volume of around 60 liters max. per sub.

I intend to use a Linkwitz transform circuit to alter the lower part of the frequency response.

The choices are in the picture below. The top table list the standard driver specs and the bottom table lists what can be altered. Can anybody comment on what's most preferable and what specs I should choose?

Best Regards,

Richard

Attachments

• picture.jpg
    picture.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 2,097
It's a right pain being moderated !! The picture showed up in my post but it won't go "through"....

The website is http://flexunits.com

There are a few standard types but one can configure their own specs. Also see the link for orderform on the page....options are listed there. Price for a single unit varies, pricing is on the site. I'd consider Flexunits in 8, 10, 12 or 15 inch.....

Regards,

Richard

I forgot....my prime interest is music. The sub will partner my Meridian DSP5000 24/96 digital active speakers with a Meridian G68 surround controller (with room correction build-in) see: http://www.meridian.co.uk

The DSP5000 speakers have a listed response of 35Hz F3

I have Audiocontrol MP-200 measuring preamp and mic on order, when this arrives I can quote the in-room response.

Regards,

Richard

my suggestion, 4 of the 8" in sealed boxes, one for each corner of the room, use EQ to get em flat, you would minimise many room problems this way.
Oh and as for variations, i think haveing a 4" VC on an 8" driver would be very nice, and the slightly begger magnet never hurts.
Your other option is to just buy the full blown 15", one or 2 of them but u would need big box.

When you request driver specs you should try to work the specs around the driver have high excurtion and also working in a very very small box, then you will have a unique driver. otherwise just go buy a tumult or 2.

It doesn't seem too interesting then to be able to modify the specs to your own liking...or is it?

Surely these drivers must have some competitive advantage....I can't tell from the specs 'cause I'm new to this but perhaps you lads can.

Not all drivers are created equally...

Richard

Specs doesn't tell anything about distortion figures. The Audiotechnology drivers are created with a rather extreme Xmax/Xsus ratio, which I suppose helps to minimize distortion at high excursions. Anyone? The drivers does also have some rather excellent motor design.

But yes, Flex Units are extremely expensive. If I was ever to use one of Audiotechnology's drivers it would probably be a C-Quenze.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
There is only one driver to go for if you are truly wanting 'The best 10" audiophile sub driver'

Look for the Volt 2500.1, never will you hear such a fantasic and beautiful speaker, virtually non existent distortion and an extension that would shame any 12" and most 15". SPL figures aren't through the roof though so if you like extreme volume look elsewhere.

Price is about £270UK or $450US, they are kinda hard to get hold of outside the UK but once you've heard one you won't be using anyone else for bass drivers.

At fist glacei thought wow, how very useful to be able to specify your woofers actual specs.

But then lets looks at it this way, i think that these drivers are ONLY good if you need something not offered already.
I cannot think of many applications where an existing driver is innapropriate. If you want multiple sealed subs then go the Peerless XLS with EQ, or if you are willing to spend the same as those darn flexis then get a damn tumult, they are incredible.

Would these Eton drivers classify?

8" 8-472/32H Vas 116 Qts 0,29 Fs 24Hz
8" 8-800/37 Vas 46 Qts 0,39 Fs 36Hz
11" 11-581/50 Vas 110 Qts 0,30 Fs 21Hz
12" 11-680/62 Vas 150 Qts 0,34 Fs 26Hz

Avalon uses this in their Eidolon. F3 at 24Hz, see the image:

Rgds,

Richard

Attachments

• eidolon.jpg
    eidolon.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 880
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.