Portable subwoofer build with JBL Atlas 3" or similar

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone,
s-l300.jpg
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
<-----Minirig SUB
As you can see I want to build portable subwoofer with 3" JBL Atlas 30W RMS driver.
The usage would be connecting it to portable speaker to enchance bass, especially outdoors. I have some questions regarding this:

1. Will I see a big improvement in bass and definition if I just make JBL Go and Play, which uses 2 x 3" Atlas subwoofers battery powered instead of AC (Exactly what I mean, are two subwoofers drivers much more capable performance wise than one and is it worth trading portability for that?)

2. I can't find any T/S parameters of this subwoofer, only Fs which is 55Hz [although one man has said I could use T/S of W3-1876S 3" driver, is this true?]. What do you think would be box and port size if I make a tube box with port, something like "Minirig" Subwoofer did with same size driver (you can search for one)?

3. If regarding 2th question the tube box length is shorter than port length or performance is just better with PR, should I use a 4" PR which I have right here and what about its weight then?

4. This driver has huge Xmax, but maybe it's too small to make that bass. If so do you have any sugestions for driver up to 5" which I could get out of some used docking or home cinema system (priority is still for the same Atlas driver or one which is as small as possible)?

5. Lastly, what not so expensive amp board should I use for this 30W RMS Subwoofer (Ebay, DX)?

I have a couple of these "JBL" speakers lying around... Can't find any details on them though.
Is there a place I can find some numbers to build an enclosure?

I guess not, but you can look into JBL Radial or Harman Kardon Onyx / Harman Kardon Go+Play systems and build something that size and it may work quite well. Use oine calculators or winisd and tune it close to 100hz for outdoor use, or 60hz for indoor use. I believe 4 litres per driver should be plenty.

Wow, did not expect these to require this much volume. Will check those systems.
I prefer passive radietors in this case.

Yeah, there's no replacement for displacement haha ;) Although as far as I remember the enclosure of JBL System I took it out off was 2.8l ported to about 50Hz, but as I said it depends on what you want to achieve. Bigger box ported higher gives a peak which is 100% necessary for outdoor use, as you won't hear any bass below 60hz that's for sure and barely any below 100hz.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.