Anyone know a fix for a Sunfire sub?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Bob, is it the big looking one on the power cap board?

This one to measure?

IMAG1029_zpsgcrkeiai.jpg

Yes, that is the thermistor.

I can't remember what the resistance was supposed to be, I think it varies based on the model. Basically, the thermistor is your circuit protection. About 5 dollars for a new one, vs replacing the whole system.

If you blow the thermistor, you can still get power on, but the current is unsteady/very weak/gone completely. This would explain a power light indicating power on, but very little/no sound +noise under load, as well as a dimming light.

If you take the heat shrink off the thermistor, be careful and do not shock yourself. These amps, in general, are very dangerous to open up (imo more than normal). If the thermistor is corroded and damaged, time to replace it.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi XsamuraiX,
Never, ever discharge capacitors by shorting them. You can damage a perfectly good capacitor, give yourself a shock, or cut yourself when your hands jerk back when the big snap is heard. Those capacitors are best discharged with a resistance. Below 100 VDC you can use your dummy load (8 R, 250W), above that you need much higher resistance.

A good value to use would be one that drains the filter capacitor over 20 seconds or so. You do not want a sudden discharge, longer discharge times are okay provided you wait until the capacitors are discharged. Use your voltmeter to be absolutely sure.

That thermistor appears to be fine. But, you never know, so take it out and test it. The information is sometimes printed on the body of the part.

-Chris

I had my sunfire sub repaired twice because it developed a low level hum. Each time, it was the capacitors on the board that were replaced as well as potentiometers. After it developed the hum for the third time I sold it for parts. I’d bypass the amp entirely and use an external amp. Sunfire subs and humming are very common. Good luck

XsamuraiX,

I assume you've already done the easy stuff like swapping signal sources & RCA interconnects?

Bob Carver sold off Carver Audio decades ago, although I do believe he did contract engineering for them many years afterword. So awesome customer service is probable not to be expected.

I'll start of with a safety precaution: Your AC mains Voltage (United Kingdom?) is 230VAC! The Sunfire subs utilize a switch-mode power supply which first converts the 230VAC in to 345VDC which is absolutely lethal - no joke!

The previous suggestion of checking the in-rush current limiter is a good start.
It should be located right after the fuses, typically a dark colored two-lead disc shaped component. They typically get chalky looking with age, and tend to cook the solder joints too. Before checking anything, unplug the sub from the AC mains for an hour or two to fully discharged.

Next verify the Thermistor (current limiter) with the Ohms setting on a DMM, should read in the 10's of Ohms. If higher, or open circuit - well there you go.

If your feeling brave, using a DMM multi-meter you could verify the power supply output rails. A google search will tell you expected values. If still good, next step would be to trace an active input signal through the amp stage. This should only be done with a large dummy-load on the output of the amp stage, and an oscilloscope.

I'm going on a hunch here, but I'm betting PCBA diagnostics is not you forte?
If so, I'd go to the Carver Audio Forum or search Ebay for tested good pull out boards.

If your crafty you could remove the remaining good unit's electrical goodies and sell them. Then plate up the missing amp holes, install binding posts/Speakon connector and power up the pair with a high power DSP enabled PA amplifier. You'll need the Hi/Lo pass filters and especially the variable "Q" parametric EQ.
Of course the easiest route would be total replacement.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.