Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sub connection question...
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 9th November 2015, 03:26 PM   #1
chr1 is offline chr1
diyAudio Member

Default Sub connection question...

Hi Folks

Hoping that someone could help me out with some advice on subwoofer connection. I am looking to use my Tannoy TS2.10 sub for 2.0 audio as well as it's current use for HT with my AVR. Essentially I am looking to use it along with my Topping TP60 amplifier, USB DAC and existing L and R speakers. The sub has RCA line-level inputs and outputs and acording to Tannoy the outputs are for connecting a second sub, so presumably are not high-pass filtered.

From what I've read I would either connect the RCA line-level outputs from the DAC to sub with Y-splitter connections to the inputs of the amp or as above but instead of the splitters connect the outputs of the sub to the inputs of the amp.

Just wondering whether these options would work and if so, whether one is better than the other?

I realise that ideally an external crossover would be used and I may decide to add this later.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

Old 9th November 2015, 11:52 PM   #2
SS4927 is offline SS4927  Canada
diyAudio Member

Looking at the plates on google images I don't see any high level inputs on them, just the low level RCAs in/out. Yes the out can be routed to a second sub or even another two channel amplifier if your existing preamp only has one output you can take advantage of that.

Providing the sub has high and low inputs I would send a signal from the amp to the subs high level inputs for music and low level signal from the AVR for home theatre.

Old 10th November 2015, 07:48 AM   #3
chr1 is offline chr1
diyAudio Member

Great- thanks for the reply!

Yes, unfortunately there are no high-level inputs on the sub. Does this mean that I am best to connect the outputs from my DAC to the low-level inputs on the sub and then the low-level outs from the sub to the inputs on the Topping? Is this a better option sonically than using y-splitters to go directly from the DAC to both sub and amp?

Also, I was wondering if it would be ok to use an RCA splitter so that I can have the DAC and the AVR connected simultaneously? The DAC has both analogue out (which would be connected to the sub) and digital coax out, which is connected to the AVR. As I have to switch between outputs from the DAC there would be no chance of the sub getting input from both the amp and AVR at the same time.

Thanks again.

PS Here is a link with info on my DAC...

Musiland Musiland Monitor 06 MX

Old 10th November 2015, 06:25 PM   #4
chr1 is offline chr1
diyAudio Member

Sorry, should have mentioned that I use the digital coax to the AVR for multi-channel audio...

Old 13th November 2015, 01:53 PM   #5
SS4927 is offline SS4927  Canada
diyAudio Member

Typically it should go like this, source---dac---preamp/receiver----sub amp/two channel amp.

Im a little confused therefor unsure why you would want to hook a DAC to a sub. unless its being utilized as a pre amp, as some DACS have the capability.

Old 13th November 2015, 02:37 PM   #6
Cal Weldon is offline Cal Weldon  Canada
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS4927 View Post
Im a little confused therefor unsure why you would want to hook a DAC to a sub. unless its being utilized as a pre amp, as some DACS have the capability.
That's what he is trying to do. The sub has a loop through on the plate amp. See the other thread and chime in if I have it wrong.

Behringer CX2310 crossover connection question

Closed Thread

Sub connection question...Hide this!Advertise here!