Sub Woofer Design Question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thank you for all the info. I really like the 10" sub woofer, and on the Madisound page one of their suggested enclosures is two cubic feet with a 3" diameter vent by 12" long for an F3 of 27Hz, which I imagine could be built to support the Kustom bass enclosure if placed on top of it. I have a wholesale Parts Express account where I can obtain a 100- or 200-watt plate amp. And this could be driven off the leads of the bass speaker, right? Now, for the enclosure: Buy or build? What is the design called wherein the speaker is not faced outwards, but rather away from any opening? I took my little home theater's sub apart and peered inside: its 5" speaker and 2" port are side-by-side and face into a sealed enclosure, On the other end just the port faces out into the world. See the pic.
Bruce

Attachments

• home theater sub interior.jpg
    home theater sub interior.jpg
    510.8 KB · Views: 85
Ahhh...4th Order Bandpass. That's what I want. I'm going to have that printed on a ball cap. :)

After dissecting my little home theater box, I find the speaker and port facing into an enclosed compartment with the other end of the port facing out. This is 4th order?

Last edited:
The speaker has two enclosures a sealed compartment (Vc) and a reflex one (Vac), with a port facing the exterior from where the sound it's coming from and tuned (Fac) to the frequency of the sealed side. The baffle with the woofer makes the separation of the two cavities.

Ahhh...4th Order Bandpass. That's what I want. I'm going to have that printed on a ball cap. :)

After dissecting my little home theater box, I find the speaker and port facing into an enclosed compartment with the other end of the port facing out. This is 4th order?

Attachments

• 4obp sub cap.jpg
    4obp sub cap.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 64
112687_11lo.jpg

Hi,

Its a sixth order series vented bandpass, B
above. The driver is mounted facing into Vb1.
Port 1 is mounted mainly in Vb2 it appears.

Pretty tricky to simply design on paper / sim.

rgds, sreten.

The attached is also a 4th order bandpass box. It's possible that his sub is a 4th order bandpass box with this type of configuration.

Attachments

• 20150824-bandpass2.jpg
    20150824-bandpass2.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 22
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.