Plate amp installation

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have two beautiful AV123 MFW-15 subs but they were made with lousy amps and the company is no longer in business. Can I (or would it make sense) to replace these with plate amps ( Yung SD500-6 ?) ? How difficult would it be. I am a retired mech engineer with good wood working skills but really fall short with electronic smarts. I have, though, over the years learned to successfully change a light bulb. If this would be a simple job of removing the old amps, cutting the back panel to fit the new plate dims, then "plug and play" I can do that. If it requires a lot of changing or replacing electronic components would probably screw things. Would I be biting off more than I can chew with this project?

Any comments or advice would be sincerely appreciated.

FYI

From pictures I've seen (this is a very common problem) there is a separate sealed chamber for the plate amp - so at least you don't have to worry about an airtight fit - just that the new plate amp physically fits. An option is to simply build a small box for the Yung plate amplifier and have a short umbilical cable connecting them.

Cheers,
Tal

ps: if you have two of them I'd just use a pro-sound amplifier, but one without fans. The Crown K1/K2 are perfect for that, but hard to find.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.